Ernie Ball CRNR Mike Dirnt
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Has EBMM forgotten and abandoned the Game Changer platform?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    I got you. Just wanted to make sure it didn't escalate.
    No worries, Casey. I'm not that guy.

    Also, how about a MM90/Minibucker/MM90/Piezo? That would be sweet. I have no intentions of buying another guitar anytime soon, but I would buy a GC in that configuration in a second.
    I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it. EVH

    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

    Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Indio, CA
    Posts
    12,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    No worries, Casey. I'm not that guy.

    Also, how about a MM90/Minibucker/MM90/Piezo? That would be sweet. I have no intentions of buying another guitar anytime soon, but I would buy a GC in that configuration in a second.
    Me too!
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    Lacking compared to what? Also, if you have a HSHP, then you five single coils. I find your posts lacking.
    Since my explanation was "lacking", I will explain.

    I find that combining 2 single coils pickups do a better job at sounding like Fender Strat' single coil ish and Gibson Les Paul humbucker ish tones than splitting two coils of a humbucker does. I have many higher end guitars that try to do the humbucker coil split thing. Recently I found that the PRS 513 to be a better approach. I assume that the EBMM Game changer switching hardware would work as well at combining a single coils designs as it does at combining a humbucker design (I am referring to bar magnet vs slug magnets and respective windings).

    I think combined single coil pickups sound better as humbuckers than humbuckers sound split into single coils.

    I hope my explanation is not lacking anything.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyster38 View Post
    Since my explanation was "lacking", I will explain.

    I find that combining 2 single coils pickups do a better job at sounding like Fender Strat' single coil ish and Gibson Les Paul humbucker ish tones than splitting two coils of a humbucker does. I have many higher end guitars that try to do the humbucker coil split thing. Recently I found that the PRS 513 to be a better approach. I assume that the EBMM Game changer switching hardware would work as well at combining a single coils designs as it does at combining a humbucker design (I am referring to bar magnet vs slug magnets and respective windings).

    I think combined single coil pickups sound better as humbuckers than humbuckers sound split into single coils.

    I hope my explanation is not lacking anything.
    I do find your explanation lacking. It sounds like you're saying single coils sound better as single coils and humbuckers? As a starting proposition, humbuckers were designed to eliminate the noise of a single coil and are by nature higher gain and warmer sounding. Maybe I just don't understand as deeply as you do, but there's a missing link in your suggestion that transmutes single coils into humbuckers that sound better than actual humbuckers and still sound better as single coils than a split humbucker that is a humbucker. I'm happy to be educated, but as far as I understand the physical design of a single coil and humbucker make what you're saying a unicorn. The idea of split humbucker pickups is to allow single coil sounds that can get very close but can't exactly replicate that sound. Just like it is the goal of some single coil designs to approximate humbucker sounds, but again can't quite get there--think P90 or your suggested PRS. Doesn't mean that it sounds good or bad (I love P90 style pickups) but literally that a humbucker is not the same thing as a single coil and a single coil or several is not a humbucker.

    It's fine that you prefer a different guitar, but it doesn't mean anything is lacking on the GC. Any more than a LP is lacking to a guy who prefers a strat-like single coil sound or vice versa. If you prefer a single coil sound that approximates a humbucker over a humbucker that approximates single coils, cool. It simply means you prefer something else. That's the reason we all play and have different guitars. Well, one of the reasons. But why come here to suggest Music Man needs to redesign easily the most flexible guitar ever made because you prefer, what? 13 tones on a single coil based guitar. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

    The GC has millions of possibe tones. A guitar can't be perfect at every single thing, but the GC is about as close at it gets in one guitar to being everything. My opinion. If you prefer another guitar, get the other guitar.
    I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it. EVH

    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

    Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    8
    I look forward to more GC development for sure - I think the system is spectacular, and I'd like it on everything.

    I actually had my guitar modded with stainless steel frets, and SD P-rails pickups neck and bridge, with a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 42 in the middle. Sweet jeebus, those upgrades made an already magical guitar even magicaller. It's not perfect at every single thing, but it's perfect at every single thing I want.

    I couldn't help but notice that there's a spot on the circuit board for a sixth pickup. How would one go about making that work, I wonder? Would the app detect the sixth coil to allow configuration? Just think of the possibilities.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by dwheelr View Post
    I couldn't help but notice that there's a spot on the circuit board for a sixth pickup. How would one go about making that work, I wonder? Would the app detect the sixth coil to allow configuration? Just think of the possibilities.
    Does yours have the piezo bridge? Just wondering if the other connection could be for that.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    5,233
    Quote Originally Posted by dwheelr View Post
    I couldn't help but notice that there's a spot on the circuit board for a sixth pickup. How would one go about making that work, I wonder? Would the app detect the sixth coil to allow configuration? Just think of the possibilities.
    Relying on old memory here so use an appropriate pinch of salt but...

    You'd have to route the guitar for a third humbucker, and then you could connect the xtra coil there. BUT that in itself may not activate the 6th coil on the app; the circuit board may have been designed for use with 6 coils but that doesn't mean the hardware version in the guitar would send that info to the app or that the app version can handle a 6th coil.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

    I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Does yours have the piezo bridge? Just wondering if the other connection could be for that.
    I do have the piezo. This is a separate, unused connection.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Relying on old memory here so use an appropriate pinch of salt but...

    You'd have to route the guitar for a third humbucker, and then you could connect the xtra coil there. BUT that in itself may not activate the 6th coil on the app; the circuit board may have been designed for use with 6 coils but that doesn't mean the hardware version in the guitar would send that info to the app or that the app version can handle a 6th coil.
    Thanks! There’s the rub. Would be super cool if it were usable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2
    Getting back to the original theme here, it doesn't seem much like the GC "is still being supported" when the app hasn't been updated for a half decade, and doesn't run on any recent version of iOS. I have kept an old phone around for the sole purpose of maintaining the guitar, but sooner or later that old phone will just crap out. Do most people just use the web interface? I'd be curious to know.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    327
    I have always used my macbook, which has always worked fine. Had the app on iPad, but only in simulation mode without being plugged in before the guitar arrived.
    I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it. EVH

    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

    Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    592
    Same here. I use the web app in Chrome, as I don’t have the required MIDI cable for the iOS app. But it sounds like I also don’t have a phone that would run the app based on what patsac said.

    I hope the platform gets renewed attention some day.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coachella & SLO, California
    Posts
    18,543
    Blog Entries
    17
    guys the cost of re writing for all the browsers kills us...its insane.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    guys the cost of re writing for all the browsers kills us...its insane.
    I understand completely.... If you guys need help getting that iOS app up to speed, I will work for guitars!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coachella & SLO, California
    Posts
    18,543
    Blog Entries
    17
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball CRNR Slash