Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has EBMM forgotten and abandoned the Game Changer platform?

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    I got you. Just wanted to make sure it didn't escalate.
    No worries, Casey. I'm not that guy.

Also, how about a MM90/Minibucker/MM90/Piezo? That would be sweet. I have no intentions of buying another guitar anytime soon, but I would buy a GC in that configuration in a second.
    “You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” - Keith Richards

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Black Star HT-1
    Bad Cat 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    No worries, Casey. I'm not that guy.

Also, how about a MM90/Minibucker/MM90/Piezo? That would be sweet. I have no intentions of buying another guitar anytime soon, but I would buy a GC in that configuration in a second.
    Me too!
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoonc View Post
    Lacking compared to what? Also, if you have a HSHP, then you five single coils. I find your posts lacking.
    Since my explanation was "lacking", I will explain.

I find that combining 2 single coils pickups do a better job at sounding like Fender Strat' single coil ish and Gibson Les Paul humbucker ish tones than splitting two coils of a humbucker does. I have many higher end guitars that try to do the humbucker coil split thing. Recently I found that the PRS 513 to be a better approach. I assume that the EBMM Game changer switching hardware would work as well at combining a single coils designs as it does at combining a humbucker design (I am referring to bar magnet vs slug magnets and respective windings).

I think combined single coil pickups sound better as humbuckers than humbuckers sound split into single coils.

I hope my explanation is not lacking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyster38 View Post
    Since my explanation was "lacking", I will explain.

I find that combining 2 single coils pickups do a better job at sounding like Fender Strat' single coil ish and Gibson Les Paul humbucker ish tones than splitting two coils of a humbucker does. I have many higher end guitars that try to do the humbucker coil split thing. Recently I found that the PRS 513 to be a better approach. I assume that the EBMM Game changer switching hardware would work as well at combining a single coils designs as it does at combining a humbucker design (I am referring to bar magnet vs slug magnets and respective windings).

I think combined single coil pickups sound better as humbuckers than humbuckers sound split into single coils.

I hope my explanation is not lacking anything.
    I do find your explanation lacking. It sounds like you're saying single coils sound better as single coils and humbuckers? As a starting proposition, humbuckers were designed to eliminate the noise of a single coil and are by nature higher gain and warmer sounding. Maybe I just don't understand as deeply as you do, but there's a missing link in your suggestion that transmutes single coils into humbuckers that sound better than actual humbuckers and still sound better as single coils than a split humbucker that is a humbucker. I'm happy to be educated, but as far as I understand the physical design of a single coil and humbucker make what you're saying a unicorn. The idea of split humbucker pickups is to allow single coil sounds that can get very close but can't exactly replicate that sound. Just like it is the goal of some single coil designs to approximate humbucker sounds, but again can't quite get there--think P90 or your suggested PRS. Doesn't mean that it sounds good or bad (I love P90 style pickups) but literally that a humbucker is not the same thing as a single coil and a single coil or several is not a humbucker.

It's fine that you prefer a different guitar, but it doesn't mean anything is lacking on the GC. Any more than a LP is lacking to a guy who prefers a strat-like single coil sound or vice versa. If you prefer a single coil sound that approximates a humbucker over a humbucker that approximates single coils, cool. It simply means you prefer something else. That's the reason we all play and have different guitars. Well, one of the reasons. But why come here to suggest Music Man needs to redesign easily the most flexible guitar ever made because you prefer, what? 13 tones on a single coil based guitar. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

The GC has millions of possibe tones. A guitar can't be perfect at every single thing, but the GC is about as close at it gets in one guitar to being everything. My opinion. If you prefer another guitar, get the other guitar.
    “You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” - Keith Richards

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Black Star HT-1
    Bad Cat 2x12