• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JasonT

I love the push/push gain boost on my LIII guitars. I’d like to add it to another EBMM guitar. Just wondering if it’s possible. If so, what parts are required and is this easy or hard to do?

Thanks!
Jason

beej

Yeah it's pretty great. You could add one to a passive guitar without too much fuss. Would be more complicated to install something on a guitar with active electronics but would be doable. I've seen a few ones that look easy to install. Here's one that looks good. Or you could install a small booster (AMZ Effects sells a few) and trigger it via a push/pull, etc.

There are a few things to consider. If the pickups will always be running through the buffer (vs being fully defeatable), then you'll have to wire up the output jack to switch it off to conserve battery life. Also you may want to add some capacitance before the buffer, as your signal will seem brighter without the cable capacitance, etc.

Another thought- I've seen people selling their Luke electronics. Could look for that and install the board. (I bought one that I foolishly sold a while back ... now I'd like to install the board in my cutlass to get the boost.)

JasonT

Yeah it's pretty great. You could add one to a passive guitar without too much fuss. Would be more complicated to install something on a guitar with active electronics but would be doable. I've seen a few ones that look easy to install. Here's one that looks good. Or you could install a small booster (AMZ Effects sells a few) and trigger it via a push/pull, etc.

There are a few things to consider. If the pickups will always be running through the buffer (vs being fully defeatable), then you'll have to wire up the output jack to switch it off to conserve battery life. Also you may want to add some capacitance before the buffer, as your signal will seem brighter without the cable capacitance, etc.

Another thought- I've seen people selling their Luke electronics. Could look for that and install the board. (I bought one that I foolishly sold a while back ... now I'd like to install the board in my cutlass to get the boost.)
Thanks, Beej. I guess I was wondering if anyone used the LIII electronics and put them in another guitar. I picked up a used Reflex and would love to add it. Showing my ignorance here, would you just need the push-push pot and the board for parts?

ruger9

There are such things in aftermarket, its cheap, might be worth a try:

beej

Thanks, Beej. I guess I was wondering if anyone used the LIII electronics and put them in another guitar. I picked up a used Reflex and would love to add it. Showing my ignorance here, would you just need the push-push pot and the board for parts?
Basically. Plus you'd have to change the wiring to the output jack slightly, and add a little 9V battery connector inside the compartment.

If I were going to do it (and I've debated it), I'd look for electronics from a Luke. (I've tried a few aftermarket preamps and found some of them to be noisy.)

Top Bottom