• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Zoetrope

Hi, I'm new here and I have a question. Currently I'm using Power Slinky strings and playing my guitar with headphones or unplugged mostly by night. I love that strings but apparently the sound is too loud for my neighbours. Maybe trying other set of Ernie Ball strings will help? Thanks and sorry for my english.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
In principle lighter strings may give you less acoustic volume but I don' know if it will make a big difference. I doubt any gauge of strings will make a significant difference to your neighbours experience, unfortunately. Your best option may be to find another room further from your neighbours in which to play...

...or convince our neighbours to move house. :)

Good luck!

Ritcho

Mate, if your neighbours are complaining about you playing an electric guitar, unplugged then basically I'd be inclined to tell them to get over it. Your being courteous enough using headphones and not plugging into the amp. So unless your houses are separated by a curtain, or they own the place your living in, and there is a threat they might evict you... Play on brother! Or sister (whoops sorry shouldn't make assumptions)

Last edited:

Zoetrope

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I already was determined to continue playing at night because I can't practice enough during the day. I will try another room and talk to my annoying neighbours again.
And yes, I'm a guy.

OnTheBall

Is the bass an electric or an acoustic? I would understand if people were complaining about an acoustic even if it was being amped through headphones, but a solid body electric should not be audible through insulated walls. Maybe some of the higher buzzier notes, but your neighbors would have to be part canine to be kept awake.

To answer your question, I recently strung my L2K G&L -very growly and twangy with any active eq applied- with D'Ad nylon tapewounds, and the acoustic sound is much more subdued. They also eliminated any fret buzz sounds. Actually I can't recommend them enough if you find yourself never using the active treble or mid boost because of the unwanted noises they seem to accentuate. The tapewounds swallow all that up and allow me to get more usable tones out of that particular bass than I was able to with nickel/steel rounds.

Good luck,
-OtB

Last edited:

Tollywood

Mate, if your neighbours are complaining about you playing an electric guitar, unplugged then basically I'd be inclined to tell them to get over it. Your being courteous enough using headphones and not plugging into the amp. So unless your houses are separated by a curtain, or they own the place your living in, and there is a threat they might evict you... Play on brother! Or sister (whoops sorry shouldn't make assumptions)

+1

My rule of thumb is that if the guitar is not any louder than the t.v. set would be, then there is no problem for the neighbors. I think you are going above and beyond being courteous by using the headphones. As I retired police officer, I can tell you that if I went to a noise complaint and you were playing through headphones or unplugged, I would tell your neighbor not to waste the police's time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum...

- Bryan

Top Bottom