• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Paulie_C

Finish cracks and delaminating.
Hi all. I’ve owned many Musicman Stingrays over my 35 years of playing and love them in general.
However I’ve recently had a really. Ad experience with a used one I bought locally.
It was a std 2 band eq black Stingray 4 with maple board.
I noticed a crack in the paint running from corner of the battery compartment. It was about 4” in length and it was a clear split in the black paint right through to the bare wood underneath. You could put a knife underneath on each side of the crack. I attempted to seal it with nail polish and then gently sand it back a bit. Slightly crude but this was on the back so as long as it stopped the cracking from spreading I do mind.
Job done, or so I thought.
I soon discovered other smaller cracks and realized that the finish was lifting from the body. Air was gathering underneath and then the outer finish was cracking.
I removed the neck and found the whole area of paint around each side of the neck pocket was lifting away.
You could get a flat head screwdriver down between the body wood and the black finish on each side of the neck pocket.
The paint was lifting from the body at the lower bout, if you pressed your finger there you could feel the paint press in and out against the body.
In the end I called Ernie Ball and was advised that they had no examples of this ever happening before. I admitted the bass was older and used but this could have halls new bass.
I had to pay $450 for a full refin of the body.
The Lithier advised that whatever sealant was used on the body had over time begun to react with the paint and it caused it to come away.
He didn’t sand the body
enough his first attempt and the remaining sealant caused his re spray to fail. He eventually stripped it enough so that the new coat of paint took.
I ended up selling the bass at a loss as I wasn’t happy with the quality of the refin.
I just thought this was a blip until I recently saw one in my local shop with similar issues with the paint. Splits that weee bit caused by wear and tear. The kind of splits that would peel off if they caught on your jkt or belt buckle etc…

I’m now very wary of this going forward when looking for my replacement Stingray.

Has anyone any similar experiences?

tbonesullivan

Did you have EBMM check the serial number to make sure that it had not already been repainted before you got it? When was it made? The only time I have seen lifting finishes are when they were exposed to extreme changes in temperature and/or moisture for a long time. I'm not sure what kind of color coats EBMM currently uses, but the top coats are polyurethane, and polymerized finishes pretty much do not react with anything.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Like Tbone said, bad storage. Over the years I've been here on the forum, I can recall only one or two instances of this but other brand instruments using polyester finishes will do this as well. What happens is the wood swells or shrinks to a greater extent and/or faster than the finish can handle and the finish cracks. Corners are where stresses naturally build up so the cracks will usually start there and propagate outward (which is why small cracks in the finish frequently occur at the corners of neck pockets on bolt-on neck instruments, and why windows in pressurized aircraft are rounded rather than rectangles). Of course any finish damage could be a start point too. If the body is multiple pieces of wood one piece may swell more than the other leaving a raised edge at the join which strains the finish and the finish crack can rapidly run along the join in a very straight line.

The good news is that it is not something that can spontaneously happen to an instrument without being exposed to extreme conditions. If you see an instrument with such cracks, either pass on it, or have the price reduced by an appropriate amount to cover the cost of a good refin, including shipping to and from the best refin people.

And, I'm sorry but the luthier who did your refin screwed up. That's the type of thing a pro should never leave a client out of pocket on.

Paulie_C

See pics below
This is how the bass looked when I bought it.
In addition to the main crack you can see another smaller one further up.
I negotiated a discount with the seller at the time but unfortunately it was what I couldn’t see such as the neck pocket that warranted a full refin.

IMG_6370.jpeg

IMG_6369.jpeg

Paulie_C

I’m guessing it was down to poor storage, left near a heater or in a garage etc…
I did investigate online and there were very few reports of it

Golem

EBBM clear and semi trans finishes do not have the same primer under the finish as does the opaque colors. Ive had enough troubles with my non-opaque MMs so I wont buy them anymore.

I wonder if your black finish might be over a trans finish ? I have a black 89 worn to bare wood in some spots but with no lifting away of the finish. Maybe your bass had a troubled trans finish and black was chosen in hopes that the refin would cover everything ?
Did you have EBMM check the serial number to make sure that it had not already been repainted before you got it? When was it made? The only time I have seen lifting finishes are when they were exposed to extreme changes in temperature and/or moisture for a long time. I'm not sure what kind of color coats EBMM currently uses, but the top coats are polyurethane, and polymerized finishes pretty much do not react with anything.

Top Bottom