• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

baske

I was wondering if anybody ever replaced te onboard preamp of the Music Man Stingray with another brand? And what did you think about it?

mynan

I haven't, but if I were going to put the effort into it I would need a good reason. There would probably need to be some specific annoyance that I wanted to fix and that just hasn't been the case with my MM basses. Not to say that improvements can't be made. Obviously MM has made changes over the years, but in my experience there is usually some give and take when making sonic adjustments and I would be super sad if my MM bass didn't sound like a MM bass anymore.

If I were serious about making a change, I would find a few aftermarket preamps that get good ratings, read the reviews, and try to figure out what changes, sonically, so that I could make a reasonably informed decision.

nebadon

I haven't, but if I were going to put the effort into it I would need a good reason. There would probably need to be some specific annoyance that I wanted to fix and that just hasn't been the case with my MM basses. Not to say that improvements can't be made. Obviously MM has made changes over the years, but in my experience there is usually some give and take when making sonic adjustments and I would be super sad if my MM bass didn't sound like a MM bass anymore.

If I were serious about making a change, I would find a few aftermarket preamps that get good ratings, read the reviews, and try to figure out what changes, sonically, so that I could make a reasonably informed decision.
Yes; be sure you have Accurate Information before making a Decision

CW Zing

The only thing I did on my SR5 preamp was change the bass and treble capacitors as per Seymour Duncan’s instructions (when swapping original ceramic to basslines alnico). It made the bass frequency lower, around 20hz, wow, talk about stage rumble! The treble cap needed to be done otherwise it’s sounding like you’re playing through a wah pedal in the middle of the pedal travel, very honky-sounding.

I was wondering if anybody ever replaced te onboard preamp of the Music Man Stingray with another brand? And what did you think about it?
I am in the process of replacing the 3-band of my 2020 BFR 5 string fretless. Having major trouble finding a pickup wiring diagram.

I just got done (literally, yesterday) replacing the 3-band with the excellent DarkGlass Tone Capsule. As it happens, I build and sell clones of the original pre-EB 2-band Stingray preamp, including a clone i.c. of the original (60+ year old) 4250 op amp. When you pair that preamp with one of the three best pickups (Nordstrand, Aguilar, and Guitar Fetish), you can very accurately reproduce the original Stingray tone. Since my 2020 Ray uses a pickup with a Neo magnet, I wasn't sure if installing the two-band preamp would give me the tone I wanted, but I was pretty sure that the Tone Capsule would be a better choice for replacing the modern 3-band EB preamp.

I did extensive research, like you, but could find no wiring diagram, schematic, or printed description of what pickup wires do what. So, what I am doing is basically trial and error. I used a meter to determine the following:

The wires are Orange, Black, White, and Blue. Using the ohmmeter I tested all six combinations:
Orange to Black - No Connection (n/c)
Orange to White - n/c
Orange to Blue - 4.46K ohms
Black to White - 4.5K ohms
Black to Blue - n/c
White to Blue - n/c

So, I connected the two individual coils in series and that worked. Almost too much output. Today, or as soon as I have time, I will connect them in parallel and see which connection I like better.

I ordered a replacement switch from Amazon, a Kaisch with identical specs. Once that arrives, I will do some more guessing and wire the switch up for series, parallel and use one of the two coils for single coil operation although I doubt I will ever find a use for the single coil only position.

I hope that helps.

Bud

Rod Trussbroken

I just got done (literally, yesterday) replacing the 3-band with the excellent DarkGlass Tone Capsule. As it happens, I build and sell clones of the original pre-EB 2-band Stingray preamp, including a clone i.c. of the original (60+ year old) 4250 op amp. When you pair that preamp with one of the three best pickups (Nordstrand, Aguilar, and Guitar Fetish), you can very accurately reproduce the original Stingray tone. Since my 2020 Ray uses a pickup with a Neo magnet, I wasn't sure if installing the two-band preamp would give me the tone I wanted, but I was pretty sure that the Tone Capsule would be a better choice for replacing the modern 3-band EB preamp.

I did extensive research, like you, but could find no wiring diagram, schematic, or printed description of what pickup wires do what. So, what I am doing is basically trial and error. I used a meter to determine the following:

The wires are Orange, Black, White, and Blue. Using the ohmmeter I tested all six combinations:
Orange to Black - No Connection (n/c)
Orange to White - n/c
Orange to Blue - 4.46K ohms
Black to White - 4.5K ohms
Black to Blue - n/c
White to Blue - n/c

So, I connected the two individual coils in series and that worked. Almost too much output. Today, or as soon as I have time, I will connect them in parallel and see which connection I like better.

I ordered a replacement switch from Amazon, a Kaisch with identical specs. Once that arrives, I will do some more guessing and wire the switch up for series, parallel and use one of the two coils for single coil operation although I doubt I will ever find a use for the single coil only position.

I hope that helps.

Bud
Hey Bud.

Do you have any suggestions as to a suitable replacement for the LM4250 IC used in the Sting Ray Bass 2EQ preamp?

I sure do. It's the one I use in my clones. Nisshinbo MICR MNM4250D available from OnlineComponents.com for something like 42 cents a piece. The only catch is you have to buy a minimum of 50, which I did. I only fab 10 preamps at a time, so I have a LOT left..

CW Zing

This is from about 15 years ago, "Newer Stingray 5" refers to late 90's or maybe even early 2000's.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.35.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.36.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.36.12 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.36.18 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.36.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.36.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.36.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.35.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 4.35.55 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Jim C

I think the pup / pre is a balanced system that works just fine. I have no interest in a change other than maybe converting a 3-band to a 2-band with a clone pre. OTOH, I like having one of each for versatility.

Golem

I had a 93 FL SR4 with Basslines PU and pre. It was that way when I bought it. It was the first MM I ever tried that pleased my ears. Turns out the magic was in the lack of frets, NOT the PU and pre ... altho those terrific as well.

That bass later went to an advanced jazzer who loved it for what it was with no cultish objections to it not being pure EBMM. I later replaced it with a piezo FL SR4 and lived happily ever after (so far).

Last edited:
Top Bottom