• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ruger9

Unfortunately it looks like I willl have to sell my EBMM guitars , I love them all. I love the way they play and sound and look but unfortunately for whatever reason my left hand does not feel the same way. Before I started playing my EBMM’s again the last year I never had any hand issues playing my PRS or kotzen tele .

Interesting. Your hand definitely seems to like bigger necks. The Kotzen neck is HUGE... it's why I don't own one LOL.

As to the hand pain in general (I have some too), do a little research, as it can be cause by several things, and some are correctable (without surgery)... ulnar nerve entrapment/compression, carpal tunnel, radial nerve, median nerve..... arthritis of course.... I am currently dealing with thumb arthritis (have to see a doc about that one), and ulnar nerve entrapment.... the latter I am treating myself with "nerve flossing", I just started so I can report on it's efficacy.

But hand pain isn't the end, that's the point I'm trying to get across... there are things you can do (besides taking pain drugs or getting surgery). But yes, it's entirely possible the tiny EBMM necks (they ARE tiny!) are the problem. I haven't owned and played my Luke III enough to find that out for myself yet...

Gio_Force_One

Wow - so nice to know I'm not the only one with hand/wrist/arm issues. I guess in the back of my mind I realize that but it sure is nice to get the confirmation. I'm still working through covid-caused stroke myopathy in both arms and my neck/base of my skull. It does affect my playing (some days are better than others) some but the more I stretch the better I feel. The older I get the more I need to move - imagine that :). Anyway, sorry to digress a bit but I figured since we're on the subject.... :) I may go pick up a set of wrist guards. I fold my hands under whilst sleeping which doesn't help for sure. Best to everyone who reads this who is fighting pain of any type. It sucks.
You are definitely not the only with hand issues. It really does suck at times getting older but I guess it beats the alternative.
Go get the wrists guards they do help. I hope you can work through it and get back to playing more.

Gio_Force_One

Interesting. Your hand definitely seems to like bigger necks. The Kotzen neck is HUGE... it's why I don't own one LOL.

As to the hand pain in general (I have some too), do a little research, as it can be cause by several things, and some are correctable (without surgery)... ulnar nerve entrapment/compression, carpal tunnel, radial nerve, median nerve..... arthritis of course.... I am currently dealing with thumb arthritis (have to see a doc about that one), and ulnar nerve entrapment.... the latter I am treating myself with "nerve flossing", I just started so I can report on it's efficacy.

But hand pain isn't the end, that's the point I'm trying to get across... there are things you can do (besides taking pain drugs or getting surgery). But yes, it's entirely possible the tiny EBMM necks (they ARE tiny!) are the problem. I haven't owned and played my Luke III enough to find that out for myself yet...
I only played the tremonti and kotzen this week and there really hasn’t been any pain. I just can’t believe such a small size difference in guitar necks could make this much of a difference.

ruger9

I only played the tremonti and kotzen this week and there really hasn’t been any pain. I just can’t believe such a small size difference in guitar necks could make this much of a difference.

Well, going from my Luke to my Fenders isn't too big a deal, and going from my Fenders to my PRS DGT. But I would take may DGT and Luke as my 2 guitars to a gig, those necks are almost polar opposites (and the Kotzen neck is bigger again than the DGT).

Top Bottom