• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

clearance

Hi everyone,

I've been using 9-42 super slinky's on my LP for a long time. But figured i could use some more stiffness in the fist two bass E and A strings. Turned out HYBRID Slinkys 2222 9-46 were perfect, still retaining the ease of bending but not going out of tune when hitting bass strings. But recently i have this feeling new sets of strings feel stiffer than before.
I'm usually sensitive to those things, i thought it will go away after few days. But nothing changed. The treble strings feel more difficult to bend than usual. I thought - maybe a faulty set. But no, i changed the strings and still get the same feeling. Somehow the B string feels much better - quite flexible and easy to bend, but E and G are still too stiff.
Is there any problem with the consistency of the production? I didn't change my guitar setup, didn't change bridge or tailpiece height.
I thought about getting Rock'n Rolls 2252 9-46 but looks like they have ad different vibe and sound characteristics.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
There is no problem with consistency of production; they've been doing this a long time and have it pretty dialed in. That said, no production line is 100% error-free.

Possibilities...

1) Did you buy from an authorized dealer? There are counterfeit strings out there. There should be a product code stamped on the inside of the foil packaging. Email customer service and ask them to check it.

2) Maybe somehow the wrong strings went into the pack? If you have a micrometer or vernier gauge you could measure the string diameters to check. Again, contact customer service if that's the case. They always want to keep track of any issues.

3) Sometimes our brains get it wrong, especially if we make a change to the setup of the guitar, but sometimes even just for no reason. e.g. switching to Hybdrid Slinkys, perhaps the higher tension D string can make string bending the G string feel stiffer (because the D has to bend too). As a result, the B string can feel looser in comparison, which draws attenton to the high E being the hardest string to bend. Maybe?

Vito Porkleone

I've had a similar issue with the last string change. It may be my imagination, but I'm pretty sure the string tension is noticeably higher with the set I put on last weekend. These 9's are not "super" slinky. I have 10's on my StingRay, and the feel is oddly similar.

Both of these are Cobalts - don't know if there is a connection.

Top Bottom