• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MonsieurPeeps

Howdy all, I'm about near wits' end and thinking of parting with this bass. I have no idea what's wrong with it and have been trying to fix it.

The low end is basically totally overwhelming everything else. It seemed fine in the past?
I can hear the throaty/growly aspect StingRay's are known for underneath it, but this massive muffled bass is overpowering it.

It's like someone threw a blanket over the sound and that's what I'm hearing.

I've...
1. Changed strings.
2. Changed batteries.
3. Adjusted string height and truss rod.
4. Checked official measurements for pickup heights and even purposely lowered the bass side of the pickups a lot lower to see if that would help - it did not.

I've played through more than one amp, same issue. All my other basses as far as I'm aware sound fine. No idea what's happening with this one.

It sounds good with the bass knob turned all the way down, but that kills the overall output and tone, so..

HELP! lol

MonsieurPeeps

Howdy, yes new several years ago retail. It seemed fine back then, but I was using Fender Rumble stuff.
I haven't played it much due to other gear, but it doesn't sound right in my SVT-CL and I tried it on one or both of my other amps (Mesa TT-800 and Darkglass Alpha Omega 900).

It's just an overbearing boomy low end that muffles the overall sound.

Rod Trussbroken

Howdy, yes new several years ago retail. It seemed fine back then, but I was using Fender Rumble stuff.
I haven't played it much due to other gear, but it doesn't sound right in my SVT-CL and I tried it on one or both of my other amps (Mesa TT-800 and Darkglass Alpha Omega 900).

It's just an overbearing boomy low end that muffles the overall sound.
'
I think you may be outside the warranty period. However, reach out to EBMM through their Customer Service for advice:

Email Customer Service

MonsieurPeeps

Thank you, just sent them a message.

Another thing that came to mind is the guitar makes a 'bzzzz' sound when plugged in and everything when I'm not touching it. Then when I even lightly touch a string the 'bzzz' sound goes away. Does all of this point to the preamp or some kind of connection being the issue?

MonsieurPeeps

All of them. Turning the bass EQ down definitely helps - they all noticeably do something, it's just when flat it's an overwhelming muffled boomy bass everywhere that blankets the other sounds.

nebadon

Does all of this point to the preamp or some kind of connection being the issue?
Most likely[grounding/shielding] but whether it effects 'Boomy/Blanket' problem won't be known until you have it looked at

If your comfortable with it can open up preamp area and check for the obvious.

Golem

Ive had broken grounds with the buzzing and humming and the relief of it when touching the strings ... but no instance had any effect on the voice of the bass. Seems like theres two problems here.

Top Bottom