• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mixolydian82

Hope this is allowed, but this is the best news I've read in some time.

Mixolydian82

Ooh, Mike Mangini is single again?! Cool! I need a drummer!

That poor guy. Such an incredible talent, with an incredible personality to match. He's truly a kind dude; the vitriol thrown his way was maddening to see. I hope he moves on to something less polarizing than the DT fanbase.

Rutles

Fanboy inside of me just exploded. I have nothing against Mangini, he's an amazing drummer and cool dude, but Portnoy is THE Dream Theater drummer.

Mixolydian82

Fanboy inside of me just exploded. I have nothing against Mangini, he's an amazing drummer and cool dude, but Portnoy is THE Dream Theater drummer.

I will defend Mangini every chance I get, but I am in complete agreement with you. I lost it when I read the news today. Whatever comes from DT next, I'm ready. Never have I been so excited for a new album from them.

Ted

One of my best friends was and still is the biggest DT fan. I mean, I liked their first couple of albums and EP, etc but they weren't my favorite band-- but my buddy was obsessed with that band. I didn't quite share his level of enthusiasm. He would drive me nuts by constantly throwing their music on and playing "air drums". It got on my nerves. I began to call him "Mike Port-annoying" Haha.

Last edited:

Mixolydian82

I love so many different bands and styles of music, and I owe much of that to early exposure to JP, but I TOTALLY get how they are not for everyone. And yes, some DT fans can be... an acquired taste. 😂🤣

Mixolydian82

To me (I like DT as much as the next old man but I'm not a DT or Portnoy fanboi) I just hope it doesn't turn into a "leaving your 2nd husband/wife to get back with your 1st", which is always a bit 😬 'cause it rarely goes well.
Same, but I love the stuff he's done with Winery Dogs. He was always such a major contributor to song structure and the overall process that I've got my fingers crossed he's still got it.

Ted

I love so many different bands and styles of music, and I owe much of that to early exposure to JP, but I TOTALLY get how they are not for everyone. And yes, some DT fans can be... an acquired taste. 😂🤣
Yeah. It's weird because I loved their first two albums and especially their EP Change of Seasons. They are incredible musicians and probably cool guys. I should probably give their middle/later catalogue a fresh listen. Certain musical stylistic and lyrical aspects related to proggier music wear me out fairly quickly.

My buddy dragged me to go see Portnoy playing with Sons of Apollo a few years ago and that was a fun show-- I almost forgot Billy Sheehan was on bass.

Mixolydian82

Yeah. It's weird because I loved their first two albums and especially their EP Change of Seasons. They are incredible musicians and probably cool guys. I should probably give their middle/later catalogue a fresh listen. Certain musical stylistic and lyrical aspects related to proggier music wear me out fairly quickly.

My buddy dragged me to go see Portnoy playing with Sons of Apollo a few years ago and that was a fun show-- I almost forgot Billy Sheehan was on bass.
Yeah, if you're in the mood for some easy listening or whatever, prog is rarely on the menu. However, if you'd like any suggestions for DT stuff, I'd be happy to give you some.

As for Sons of Apollo, again, another band full of ridiculous musicians, but for whatever reason I have trouble getting into them. Which is odd considering I like all of them in other musical contexts. And yes, Sheehan is a monster!

If you're a blues rock guy at all, Black Country Communion or even Bonamassa by himself is worth a listen IMO.

Top Bottom