• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

KFC

Hey all,

I purchased a Cutlass HT about a year ago, and I’ve been loving. The one thing I’ve been noticing is that I have a strong preference and playing style for thicker necks. I’ve been working on my guitars for over 30 years, and would like to replace the neck with an EB roasted neck. Looking around on the site and Google search is not showing anything I can buy (other than Sterling). Looking for an authentic EBMM neck with a thicker profile.

Any options?

Ninemile

As I started reading your post my first thought was a Sterling neck and then I got to your part about Sterling. All I can say is this: I have 3 EBMM Axis Sports all with nearly identical necks. Their necks are what I love the most about them. I also have a Sterling Axis that I converted to a Tele setup. Regardless, the neck on it is absolutely awesome. But, it's significantly thicker than the EBMM Axis necks. It's a nice beefy thick profile while also retaining the DNA of a EBMM neck. The maple on it is beautiful and the fretboard is high quality too. But, I completely get it if you're only after a real deal EBMM neck.

Reactions: KFC

kimonostereo

Does this neck need the EBMM headstock and logo on it? If not, you can get a custom 4+2 neck made over at Musikraft. They call it the MKM custom build. Not sure if EBMM's patent on 4+2 expired, but I was surprised to see that this was available on Musikraft's website. Was thinking of getting a replacement neck for my True Gold Luke II so I don't have to modify the original frets…

Ninemile

Does this neck need the EBMM headstock and logo on it? If not, you can get a custom 4+2 neck made over at Musikraft. They call it the MKM custom build. Not sure if EBMM's patent on 4+2 expired, but I was surprised to see that this was available on Musikraft's website. Was thinking of getting a replacement neck for my True Gold Luke II so I don't have to modify the original frets…
Interesting. I did not know they made them. They didn't when I ordered mine about 2 years ago. I had to get a Tele headstock and try my best to have them make the cut like my Axis' necks. But at the same time, there is another neck company who claims he'll make an Identical axis neck. Locke guitars.

kimonostereo

They didn't offer this the last time I checked which was at the end of 2023, so it's a new offering. There is a paddle headstock option, I assume so you can make your own headstock shape. All of my Musikraft necks have been great so far. Being able to have one with small dot inlays and a neck adjust wheel is perfect. The other option is the MKW which is replacement for Wolfgang style Peavey or EVH Gear without the cut/carve out. Compact and 3+3.

GoKart Mozart

They didn't offer this the last time I checked which was at the end of 2023, so it's a new offering. There is a paddle headstock option, I assume so you can make your own headstock shape. All of my Musikraft necks have been great so far. Being able to have one with small dot inlays and a neck adjust wheel is perfect. The other option is the MKW which is replacement for Wolfgang style Peavey or EVH Gear without the cut/carve out. Compact and 3+3.
Not to derail but I'll second Musikraft; I had them build a MKW one for a project guitar a couple of years ago and it was impeccable.

kimonostereo

As someone who enjoys working on guitars, I loved watching you work on that project! I'm nowhere as daring, nor do I have the skills or all of the tools, to do anything similar. Thanks for sharing that journey! It was really fun to watch it come to life. I always imagine Al Pacino working on that Wolfgang body… muttering to himself… :LOL:

Top Bottom