• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

OXD5150

Hello , does anyone know why this guitar doesn't have any of the Ernie Ball Musicman logos ? Seems a bit weird....
It's listed as Sabre in Gator burst .

Any info is appreciated !

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 5.20.04 PM.png

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hard to say with any certainty. The image quality is terrible, lighting is awful, and the image has lens distortion and is at a weird angle. I boosted the brightness in editing software and it has the correct truss rod adjustment and generally looks right. But the lack of dot markers on the neck is also strange. Without a very hefty discount I would definitely be asking for much better photos and the serial number and then contacting Music Man customer service and see if they can shed any light on it.

OXD5150

Hard to say with any certainty. The image quality is terrible, lighting is awful, and the image has lens distortion and is at a weird angle. I boosted the brightness in editing software and it has the correct truss rod adjustment and generally looks right. But the lack of dot markers on the neck is also strange. Without a very hefty discount I would definitely be asking for much better photos and the serial number and then contacting Music Man customer service and see if they can shed any light on it.
Thank you for the quick response on this !
I just noticed the missing fret markers , definitely good call out.
It's currently listed at 2,300 usd on guitar center which is a pretty big discount.

As a novice in the Ernie ball guitar space I'd like to know if fakes are a common issue ?

racerx

As a novice in the Ernie ball guitar space I'd like to know if fakes are a common issue ?
Common, no. It does happen though. In addition to Kev's comment, I think the best case is someone modified the neck and removed the logo/masked the inlays for whatever reason. In the worst case it is a fake or replacement neck.

I don't see it listed on GC's website, but you can call the local store and try to get more info about it. A serial number would be a good start. Benefit of the doubt it ends up being legit - I'd holdout for a much bigger discount or find another Sabre. $2300 isn't worth the headache (in my opinion anyway).

jazzyitalian

No organized company like Ernie Ball would issue a guitar without their logo or trade mark on it. If this is truly an original EB product, then someone sanded off the logo which is a stupid move. Think about that one for a moment.... Someone actually de-facing the real McCoy by removing the logo thereby diminishing the value of the guitar itself. My money says this is a knock-off.

But to be absolutely certain, you can run the serial number in the database. If the serial number provides you with an actual product in the EB database, then and pay real close attention to the specs provided in the description to see if they match up to what you are told in the for sale ad.

So how do go about asking for the serial number? Answer, ask to see the photo of the neck plate. Don't just accept a typed response and take their word for it. Insist on a clear picture of the neck plate. EB has consistently used a distinctive font type for the serial numbers on their plates. This is another way you can determine whether this is a knock off or the real McCoy. If the numbers on the photo you get look like a different font, then it's suspect.

Ted

Guitar Center always has the worst mugshot looking photos ever for their used guitars. Always a "last known photo" vibe.

Whether that guitar is real or fake, from that pic I couldn't say. It looks like it once started out as a real EBMM guitar. You would think that nobody in their right mind would sand off the logo, but I see so many stupid mods that people have done to f-up their once beautiful instruments-- I just keep my mouth shut. And then invariably these ruined instruments show up on Reverb with the seller boasting about all the "upgrades" they've done to the guitar. LOL.

Ted

An aside on the serial number database. It's kinda fun to run your guitar's number in there and see the build date-- then start increasing the serial number by 1 to see what other guitars were built around that time-- and the build date can jump back and forth by a few months as the number increases. I have no idea exactly how guitars are assigned their serial numbers but it's interesting to look around at the build codes.

andi_77

The thing I never understand is why we all consider the serial number check as a safe method.
What if it’s a counterfeit guitar with a serial number copied from a real one?
That’s why in the watch world 99% of images you see online have the serial numbers masked - to make things harder for those who create fakes.

jayjayjay

Only reason I can think of that the neck would look that way on an otherwise legit guitar - other than the previous owner for whatever reason wanting to deface the guitar by removing the logo and fret markers (and if they did that, that's one hell of a fill job) - is that the original neck was removed and this is an aftermarket neck made by a third party. Perhaps the original neck was broken or damaged; I understand EBMM charges a very hefty sum for replacements, so maybe the previous owner didn't want to shell out that amount and went aftermarket.

Otherwise, fake. If it's at a GC, I imagine they could send you better pics (including the neck plate) if you call the store and ask. Also, I bought a returned EBMM BFR Axis from GC in 2021, so it qualified as new w/ full warranty - and got it for $2500, which was $1000 off list. Mine is legit, including the certificate of authenticity. The Sabre is comparable in price new, so $2300 seems a bit steep for a used instrument that appears to have an aftermarket neck.

Last edited:

mvcexpert

Hello , does anyone know why this guitar doesn't have any of the Ernie Ball Musicman logos ? Seems a bit weird....
It's listed as Sabre in Gator burst .

Any info is appreciated !

View attachment 42346
I just bought this exact guitar from the the Concord CA, GC, I should have it in 5 days. The serial number checks out: made in 2022, build code matches the specs. I suspect someone removed the Logo, not sure about fret markers, I hope I can reverse that. I paid $1650 for it with shipping and OHSC.

mvcexpert

Get the serial number and track it through the data base to find out if it's legit.

Glenn |B)
Only reason I can think of that the neck would look that way on an otherwise legit guitar - other than the previous owner for whatever reason wanting to deface the guitar by removing the logo and fret markers (and if they did that, that's one hell of a fill job) - is that the original neck was removed and this is an aftermarket neck made by a third party. Perhaps the original neck was broken or damaged; I understand EBMM charges a very hefty sum for replacements, so maybe the previous owner didn't want to shell out that amount and went aftermarket.

Otherwise, fake. If it's at a GC, I imagine they could send you better pics (including the neck plate) if you call the store and ask. Also, I bought a returned EBMM BFR Axis from GC in 2021, so it qualified as new w/ full warranty - and got it for $2500, which was $1000 off list. Mine is legit, including the certificate of authenticity. The Sabre is comparable in price new, so $2300 seems a bit steep for a used instrument that appears to have an aftermarket neck.
Hi, I just bout this guitar. After reading your response I looked around for aftermarket MM necks and could not locate anything. My question to you is do these aftermarket necks exist to your knowledge? I am hoping someone just removed the logos and who knows about those fret inlays. I will find out in a week.

Johnny Alien

Hot tip about GC used. You can add the item to your cart and once in your cart they will show you the serial number right next to the item number. No need to call and get it.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.48.28 AM.png

dibart77

I have a feeling the body is a legit Sabre. But the neck got damaged and he had a replacement neck made, or he didn't like the "small" EBMM headstock and tried to make one more standard strat size. That headstock does not look right to me. Compare it to this photo of a Sabre headstock from the EBMM site. Shape is all wrong. And look at the string pull on the B string. Should be STRAIGHT into the tuner else it will bind up in the not slot

trash.jpg .

mvcexpert

I have a feeling the body is a legit Sabre. But the neck got damaged and he had a replacement neck made, or he didn't like the "small" EBMM headstock and tried to make one more standard strat size. That headstock does not look right to me. Compare it to this photo of a Sabre headstock from the EBMM site. Shape is all wrong. And look at the string pull on the B string. Should be STRAIGHT into the tuner else it will bind up in the not slot

View attachment 43472 .
Hey dbart,

Thanks for pointing that out, I really thought I scrutinized the shit out of it.. just really wanted to believe it was legit I suppose. I cancelled the order, BTW Matt at the GC in Concord CA was really nice about it.

Thanks again dbart.

Top Bottom