• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Carlo Calamatta

Dear All,

I'm new here on this forum but I'm not a new client for EB. I've been using EB Hybrid for these past few years and now I would like to go from Standard E tuning to Standard B tuning. Can you please tell me what gauge is suitable for an ESP MII Floyd Rose guitar. I stringed the Beefy 11-54 by the low strings especially the 6th is a bit floppy and not stable. Please your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Carlo:confused::confused:

Greg Suarez

Dear All,

I'm new here on this forum but I'm not a new client for EB. I've been using EB Hybrid for these past few years and now I would like to go from Standard E tuning to Standard B tuning. Can you please tell me what gauge is suitable for an ESP MII Floyd Rose guitar. I stringed the Beefy 11-54 by the low strings especially the 6th is a bit floppy and not stable. Please your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Carlo:confused::confused:

I think your problem is not so much the gauges of your strings, rather the scale length of your guitar's neck. Super-low tunings require longer neck scales (some manufacturers call them Baritones). Your ESP is probably a standard 25.5" scale length, where you're going to want something in the 27"-30" range. A 25.5" scale (and shorter) is not long enough to provide the tension required for tunings lower than standard E or drop D. Drop D is about as low as you want to take a standard scale length without running into challenges with floppy strings and tuning stability. That's my opinion, anyway. Going into C# or B tuning really begs for a longer neck scale.

For example, recording the Dream Theater song "Wither," John Petrucci tuned down 3 steps to B-flat, but he also used his MM BFR JP Baritone guitar, which is a 27.5" neck scale. I have seen some standard scale workarounds online using a capo, but they are ultimately not correct when compared with the recorded version of the song.

Last edited:

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

To Greg Suarez,
are you sure you have need a longer scale length? Can't you just string on some ''Not even slinky'' or ''D'Addario extra heavy gauge'' after making several adjustments?

Greg Suarez

To Greg Suarez,
are you sure you have need a longer scale length? Can't you just string on some ''Not even slinky'' or ''D'Addario extra heavy gauge'' after making several adjustments?

Man, going down that low, I just don't think it would be stable. It might be worth a shot to try those strings (which are more like high-tension wires than guitar strings). It would be cheaper than buying a new guitar if they end up working, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

There's this guy who used a 25.5'' scale length guitar: Parkway Drive - The River (Instrumental Cover) - YouTube
Tell me what you think, because this guy's question and your idea about scale length is interesting (I really like the idea of the exta heavy d'addario set or not even slinky, but my guitar's an ibanez, 25.5'' scale length, so knowing your thoughts would be great, because I still lack a bit of knowledge about guitars).

To Carlo Calamatta: if scale length isn't important (I'm not sure), either ''Not even slinky'' or ''D'addario extra heavy gauge (=C standard)'' could be the solutions you're looking for when playing in B standard. Though going from EB hybrid to a gauge with B standard would require a few adjustements.

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

Btw, you're right about longer scale length for baritone guitars, but aren't their gauges the extreme ones where you definitely need a baritone for ex 6-string baritone slinky (13.18.30.44.56.72.)? With a gauge like this, I don't think you can even stay in B standard on a average guitar, especially when you've got a 56. string and a monster 72. at the bottom.

Greg Suarez

There's this guy who used a 25.5'' scale length guitar: Parkway Drive - The River (Instrumental Cover) - YouTube
Tell me what you think, because this guy's question and your idea about scale length is interesting (I really like the idea of the exta heavy d'addario set or not even slinky, but my guitar's an ibanez, 25.5'' scale length, so knowing your thoughts would be great, because I still lack a bit of knowledge about guitars).

To Carlo Calamatta: if scale length isn't important (I'm not sure), either ''Not even slinky'' or ''D'addario extra heavy gauge (=C standard)'' could be the solutions you're looking for when playing in B standard. Though going from EB hybrid to a gauge with B standard would require a few adjustements.

The dude in that video is using drop B tuning (B-F#-B-E-G#-C#). Standard B tuning (which is what I believe the OP is wanting) on a 6-string goes even lower (B-E-A-D-F#-B). I really believe a baritone guitar is in the OP's future. Even if he puts a 72 (!!!) on his lowest string, he's probably going to have a miserable time playing. Plus, with a set of strings that are of such a thicker gauge being on a neck with a standard width, there is going to be almost no room in between strings. It will be uncomfortable and cause all kinds of picking and fretting errors for all but the most skilled and accurate player, plus bends will be pretty much out of the question.

Greg Suarez

In Flames - The Hive (Cover) - YouTube
In this video, the dude's using 13-65, in C standard as well, on a guitar with a scale length of 25.5''.
I think there are some guys who put gauges like 10/11-70 on standard guitars, and it seemed to work.
Boy, this is confusing :p

The easiest solution is to try it yourself. A set of strings is dirt-cheap, and if it doesn't work, at least you know.

Going from a standard set of 9 or 10-46 up to a 13-56+ will require a complete set-up after the new strings are installed, and then if they don't work and you have to go back to a lighter gauge, again, another set-up.

If you're using a guitar with a floating bridge, the thicker gauges will pull the hell out of the trem springs, and bring the bridge plate forward a lot. Plus, the neck will bow a bit more (more relief will be added) and you'll need to tweak sweet lady truss rod. If you have a guitar with a fixed bridge or hardtail, the bowing in the neck will be a bit more pronounced, but at least you won't have to level a floating bridge. Either type of bridge will require intonation adjustment after such dramatically new gauges of strings are installed, and you will probably also need to tweak the action, as you may run into fret buzz, especially with the much larger wound strings. If you do not have the knowledge or tools to perform a set-up like this, you'll probably be charged $50-$100 for a full set-up by a pro luthier.

Something else that JUST occurred to me: most nuts are slotted to accommodate a maximum size of string. Some nuts only accept up to a 56. If that's the case with your guitar, your nut will need to be slotted out a bit more (assuming you're using a non-locking synthetic nut of some kind). However, if the larger gauges end up floppy and unstable and you need to go back down to a lighter gauge, I would recommend a new nut. Having any extra play than necessary in a nut slot causes string slippage, and you'll never be able to keep your guitar in-tune. I can run through a basic guitar set-up in my sleep, but when it comes to replacing a nut, I would take my guitar to a trusted luthier. It doesn't take much to destroy a guitar neck when you're pounding out a nut (which is actually 90-95% less perverted than it sounds). A new graphite nut is less than $10, but you'll spend another $50-$100 in luthier fees.

All of this is why baritone guitars were invented. Standard B tuning is even lower than standard C. It won't hurt anything to try a heavier gauge, but, really, baritone guitars are made for C# and lower tunings.

EXT37T8UN5ERF1!

Yo, I'm back!
Get something between 12-54 and 12-60. If you want to use the guitar at it's full potential in B standard, DON'T ask for a high action like me (>5mm(fingers pass under strings when bending)),but not super super low either. I just put on 12-60 with this action to play in D standard (that wouldn't have been ''possible'' if the action was lower).
Though of course, if you are going from hybrid to gauge that's good for B standard, ask a technician for the adjustments, or do it yourself if you can. :)

Top Bottom