• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mrw55

I am trying Open G tuning. I am currently using EB Super Slinky 9-42 with standard tuning. Of course tuning down the 6,5,1 strings from E to D, A to G and e to d, I am concerned about string tension. The strings down tuned are loose and I would like to get back or as close as possible, to the string tension I used with standard tuning. Any suggestions as to what string gauges to use, type of string, metal the strings are made of, blah, blah, blah?
Any help I get will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Keith Richards tuning! In fact, EB used to make a custom 5 string set specially for him (11 15 18 30 42, he didn't use the low 6th string).

With that in mind, I'd try the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set - 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52. Incidentally, it's not far from what Larry Carlton uses for standard tuning (he likes heavy bottom strings)

Ernie Ball | Electric Strings - Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Nickel Wound

Anybody else have suggestions?

MistaSnowman

With that in mind, I'd try the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set - 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52. Incidentally, it's not far from what Larry Carlton uses for standard tuning (he likes heavy bottom strings)

Ernie Ball | Electric Strings - Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Nickel Wound

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm in the process of learning songs by Staind, but they use a rather odd tuning (low to high...G#,C#,G#,C#,F#,A#). I currently use EB Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom Cobalt Strings (on my Epiphone LPC (24.75 scale)) and when I tried to tune from E Standard to the suggested tuning, I broke my 5th string. Was this a fluke or should I go to a higher gauge set of strings? I'd like to still use either Cobalts or M-Steels but any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

Top Bottom