• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mynan

I was going to reply to a comment in the Retro 70's thread, but didn't want to hijack it.

As someone who has been a fan and following EBMM for a while, comparing model/option availability to the 10+ years prior to 2020, it seems like EBMM are in "survival mode", but that may not be the case. It may be that all of those models, as much as we loved seeing them, were spreading manufacturing time/resources too thin and hurting the company.

As someone who has been a fan and following EBMM for a while I miss those days as well, but without looking at sales statistics it's impossible to say what is/was a good business decision. Of course I want to see new models/innovations, but I'm a fan. And I would bet that the annual purchasing power of all the fans like me combined probably couldn't keep the lights on at EBMM for more than a month or two. In fact, catering to fans like me would probably increase costs exponentially. And as much as I loved seeing the Big Al, Sabre Classic, Cutlass, and Caprice basses I never bought one. And yes, in hindsight I'm an idiot for not getting a Cutlass.

Hopefully this isn't a taboo subject. Definitely not trying to stir up controversy, but after having been fairly active on the forum then recently coming back after a few years away, it's something that I've thought about more than once. And my point is that as much as I would like to look at the past and call it "the good old days", it may not be correct to assume that the company is in survival mode based on that perspective. My hope is that decisions being made at EBMM are more about positioning the company to be around for a long time.

racerx

... it seems like EBMM are in "survival mode", but that may not be the case.

... but without looking at sales statistics it's impossible to say what is/was a good business decision.
I miss a lot of those models too and have been fortunate to find them on the second-hand market. They may not be gone forever though; there could always be limited re-issue years, BFRs, Vault runs, etc. I think your last line is correct -- while some decisions may not appear popular to us, I imagine the decisions being made are to keep the company healthy, grow, and follow what their research data says is the best path.

petebretzke

I totally get it and am 100% with you. I’m being a big crybaby and I know it. The last thing I want is for EBMM to fail. Every time I pick up one of my Sting Rays, I’m reminded why it is and always will be my favorite bass. If not an entirely new bass, I’d love to have a custom shop or at the very least some options for fretboards and hardware colors.

Mixolydian82

I totally get it and am 100% with you. I’m being a big crybaby and I know it. The last thing I want is for EBMM to fail. Every time I pick up one of my Sting Rays, I’m reminded why it is and always will be my favorite bass. If not an entirely new bass, I’d love to have a custom shop or at the very least some options for fretboards and hardware colors.

I don't think you're being a crybaby, I just don't believe they're setup to cater to us with the dealer network setup the way it is. They know there are plenty of non-artists knocking at the door for their dream-spec guitar.

As much as I'd love to see a direct-to-consumer sales model, I know the guys are busting their tails from top to bottom to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

I'm excited to see what they have in store for NAMM, and hope it helps to keep their name on the tips of people's tongues for the forseeable future.

Last edited:

mynan

I don't think you are being a crybaby. I feel the same way as you do and those feelings have caused me to wonder what state the company is in right now, especially since it doesn't seem like anyone from EBMM posts on the forum anymore...another cool thing we had back in the day. I wasn't calling you out. I just wanted to offer another possible perspective without hijacking the other thread.

mynan

I'm excited to see what they have in store for NAMM, and hope it helps to keep their name on the tips of people's tongues for the forseeable future.
It seems like there is a larger percentage of "known" artists using MM basses, so they may be making headway in that area which is probably one of the more crucial sales boosters.

Mixolydian82

My first thought...

Today is "the good old days" for somebody else. Our "good old days" were "not as good as the old days" for other people. Everything shifts and changes, as is right.
100% on point as always.

Honestly, I love much of what they're doing currently, but I'm also a weirdo. I'd love to see a headless from them, and I'm sure that'd get me crucified in some circles. 😅

N4860

Someone on TalkBass was showing off a new 2023 Sterling in, IIRC,Pacific Blue Burst so I guess you can.

I was going to mention that too. And another user recently posted about a new SR Special with the SLO neck ordered custom from EBMM that is arriving this week so maybe they are becoming a bit more flexible with options if you reach out to them.

bmorepunk

I was going to mention that too. And another user recently posted about a new SR Special with the SLO neck ordered custom from EBMM that is arriving this week so maybe they are becoming a bit more flexible with options if you reach out to them.
That was me; I contacted AJ per his post in this thread:

If you really want something, ask them. I wasn't window shopping; I was ready to rock if they were game.

I've only had my StingRay Special, SLO Special for a week and it is everything I wanted. I got the setup in a really nice spot this morning and took it to rehearsal. The neck makes is the perfect feel for me. My other bass is a Fender Jazz with all rosewood neck.

I know it's business for EBMM but I really, really appreciate them doing this. I'm not the kind of person who churns through equipment or collects; I get the things I need to play music. This bass could not be better for me, and it's huge that they made it.

b-unit

Bring back the leftys!

I know that isn’t as profitable to re tool everything to make leftys but I have been pretty bummed the last several years as almost nothing has been available left handed from EBMM anymore

I have several leftys in some pretty unique colours and count myself as being very fortunate to have found the ones I have and been able to and actually buy them when they came available. But my dream of a Stingray5 fretless still gauges me shivers of delight.

bovinehost

Administrator
Well, like the original post, I've been around since pterodactyls darkened the skies over San Luis Obispo. I feel it in my joints, too, and not the kind you smoke. All those discontinued models mentioned? I bought most of them. I mean one of each, not all of the produced models. I still have my beloved Big Al 5H and use it regularly live and in the studio.

I think Music Man is doing a stellar job and love the fact that you can order basses to your liking. It's not exactly a custom shop but close enough for hand grenades. Do I wish Bongos were included? No. I'm living on a fixed income and I don't want to end up eating dog food at the end of each month.

Okay, yes, yes, I do wish Bongos were included because some of that dog food tastes....not bad.

Everyone longs for the Good Old Days, even if they weren't quite as good as we remember. Nostalgia gets worse as you get old.

Older.

We had a lot of fun on the forum and got to do stuff and play cool basses/guitars and hang around with the boss and the family. Lots of you are family, too. Enjoy the Good New Days, I say!

XOXO
Jack

Golem

Most of my many MMs are FL with piezos, two currently discontinued options per bass. I understand that piezos were expensive and didnt sell well. But fretlsss ?!?!? I just dont see why that went away.

The other disappearance is not my problem, but no lefties ?!? I understand that the current economy calls for some consolidation, fewer models and fewer colors, but how does FL cost too much ? How does Fender et al continue offering lefties ? So here an I, hoarding piezo FLs of SRs, Sterlings, and Boingos, and barred from buying any newer production models :-(

WhtMtnGrv

It would be nice if they updated the Sterling pages though...showing two colors that are no longer available. Can you even order a Sterling anymore?

Someone on TalkBass was showing off a new 2023 Sterling in, IIRC,Pacific Blue Burst so I guess you can.

That was probably me. They were taking one-off orders for Sterlings last year at least, so definitely give them a shout and see if they've got the production capacity to take your order. I've got one in Raspberry Burst that should, in the absence of any delays, arrive later this month too.

Top Bottom