• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jackrmesser

Hey everyone! Purchased a new MM Sterling Sabre in Cobra on the weekend as an upgrade from my ML3 Chapman Bea signature; and my Lord it’s good

My issue at the moment is that the truss rod wheel moves the tiniest amount either way, but will not move much at all, I noticed the neck bending away from me and causing some significant buzzing on 1st, 2nd and 3rd fret, so thought I would try tightening a bit to compensate

I’ve tried:
• checking for debris
• applying some force to turn it
• applying some force to the headstock whilst turning it

And absolutely nothing happens, I’m not particularly sure what else to do & the thought of applying WD40 so close to the neck pick-up does cause me some concern.

The guitar shop is about 80 miles away, a good 4 hours journey so I ideally didn’t want to go down this route; but as it’s so expensive I’m not sure what else to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t really want to break the thing or be without it for so long :(

tbonesullivan

Do NOT put WD 40 in there. That will soak into the wood and do bad things. I would first remove all tension from the strings, and then try turning the truss rod to loosen it. Don't try to tighten it.

Jackrmesser

Do NOT put WD 40 in there. That will soak into the wood and do bad things. I would first remove all tension from the strings, and then try turning the truss rod to loosen it. Don't try to tighten it.
Well I am quite glad I didn't do that! I've tried removing the strings and trying to loosen the rod first, but it only moves mm's each direction.

Although I have seen a video on TikTok from Ernie Ball about truss rod adjustments & it does look like it requires some force to get it going - compared to my other guitars (allen key) truss rod adjustments seem fairly easy - does it just require some force?

tbonesullivan

Well I am quite glad I didn't do that! I've tried removing the strings and trying to loosen the rod first, but it only moves mm's each direction.

Although I have seen a video on TikTok from Ernie Ball about truss rod adjustments & it does look like it requires some force to get it going - compared to my other guitars (allen key) truss rod adjustments seem fairly easy - does it just require some force?
Well, my experience is mainly with EBMM instruments, but I did have one that was IMPOSSIBLE to move. It would "stick" all the time. So I did get it loosened, and put just a bit of graphite between the neck, the washer, and the truss rod nut. After that it moved much smoother.

Iperfungus

Blocked trussrods are a common issue...
On a new instrument, I would ask for another with no issues or a full refund under warranty.

Top Bottom