• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rod Trussbroken

teaserbox_7376430.jpg

Above pic of a USA SUB Bass neck heel.

Comparing it with the neck heel of the current 1987 Bass it would seem that it was originally painted black at the factory !!! However some of the paint from the neck heel has adhered to the neck pocket. I don't believe EB would have added the neck to the body until completely dry. Perhaps some of the neck heel has subsequently been touched up and not completely dried?

Last edited:

BASS67

Hello.

Found another picture of a USA SUB with the same black paint pattern on neck heel. For me, the Stingray is 99% factory finished. why it was made this way?, we will probably never know.

SUB-USA.jpg

kevins

View attachment 39366

Above pic of a USA SUB Bass neck heel.

Comparing it with the neck heel of the current 1987 Bass it would seem that it was originally painted black at the factory !!! However some of the paint from the neck heel has adhered to the neck pocket. I don't believe EB would have added the neck to the body until completely dry. Perhaps some of the neck heel has subsequently been touched up and not completely dried?

actually speaking of sub, i think i have an explaination

This bass came in the other day. It's an '05 MIA Sub. I've never seen a modern finish so badly broken down.

Is this a known issue with these?

Cheers.

View attachment 38752 View attachment 38753 View attachment 38754

when the paint has this problem as pictured above where it gets tacky and nasty, it ends up shearing off in a similar fashion when under physical pressure. my .02 cents anyways!

Michael Murphy

I think you misunderstand. "Finished necks" in this context simply means that they were lacquered as opposed to the oil/wax combo that started around 1992/93.
Technically, the oil & wax is also a "finish", so all necks from the factory have had some kind of finish -- none are bare, raw, unfinished wood.
But yeah, folks more commonly use "finished' to mean lacquered or coated in something other than oil & wax.

Top Bottom