• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bluesfam76

I have a two year old seven string JP Majesty with a set neck that I love the feel of. My biggest complaint on this guitar is the neck needs constant adjustment even when I live live in environments with different humidity, it usually needs a little tweak. Recently I pulled it out of the case and the strings were a little close to the frets near the nut and I was getting a buzz. I did a half turn counter clockwise on the Truss and it seemed to resolve that but now the 24th fret on the high e is buzzing behind the fret and only on the high E when i tap on it. Additionally, when I pull back on the whammy with nothing fretted on high e, nothing frets out? The neck appears to be straight which might tell me the bridge may need a screw tightened behind the back plate where the springs connect to relieve string tension and bring the bridge upward slightly. Is this the right approach or should I adjust something on the bridge or with intonation? Am I completely off in my assessment?

racerx

Usually order of operations is: Neck Relief -> Trem Tension -> Bridge/Saddle Height -> Intonation. Your issue sounds like it comes from somewhere in step 1-3. I'd recommend getting the neck set, then set the bridge springs, and lastly set your saddle height. That should get you dead-on or gosh darn close to it.

As for neck going in/out a lot - are you drastically changing string gauges or tunings at all? I could see those throwing it off between adjustments and settling period. Otherwise if you stick with a static tuning and string gauge, then I'd imagine it to be solid outside of seasonal changes. The good news is the neck is easy to adjust and should settle in once setup right.

Bluesfam76

Usually order of operations is: Neck Relief -> Trem Tension -> Bridge/Saddle Height -> Intonation. Your issue sounds like it comes from somewhere in step 1-3. I'd recommend getting the neck set, then set the bridge springs, and lastly set your saddle height. That should get you dead-on or gosh darn close to it.

As for neck going in/out a lot - are you drastically changing string gauges or tunings at all? I could see those throwing it off between adjustments and settling period. Otherwise if you stick with a static tuning and string gauge, then I'd imagine it to be solid outside of seasonal changes. The good news is the neck is easy to adjust and should settle in once setup right.
This neck needs a truss adjustment at least three to four times a year even when kept in the case and not transported anywhere. It is a seven string and a set neck but it definitely need truss adjustments more than any of my other guitars. Some, I even hang on the wall for entire seasons and never touch the truss rod.

For this reason, I have kept it in the case not changed strings and only played it a handful of times the past two years. It still needs adjustment nearly every time I pull it out of the case.

beej

Some necks just need more adjustment than others. I also have a few that never move, and one in particular that moves like crazy. Luckily it's a quick adjustment to make.

Top Bottom