• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TKbASSMAN

Hey all...just wondering if anyone knows why my E string is distorting when I lean into it a bit harder. My other strings aren't doing this and I tried with other basses thru the same speakers and the low E on the other basses are not distorting? TIA

tbonesullivan

Which bass is this happening on? Are the batteries fresh? Have you tried the bass through a different amplifier? Does it have an input pad for active basses?

Speakers are not really relevant. Distortion like that is most likely to happen in the preamp of the amplifier.

danny-79

I would of said check your pick up height but if you have already done that. Is it distorting on all of the pickup configurations? Cause I know the HH is pretty hot and the newer specials even more so, so maybe try lowering them both on the bass side a touch more than factory specks

TKbASSMAN

yeah, I've tried lowering them even more with no success. At this point, I think it may be a slight fret buzz that is being amplified making it sound distorted thru the amp. When I play my bass without the amp, it sounds more like a very slight fret buzz when I really dig into the E and now, without the amp...I am noticing on the A string as well. The fret buzz/distort seems to be happening all the way up the neck? I know with too much forward bow you'll get fret buzz around the first 4 frets and even the past the 12th fret, or if you have a backward bow in the neck, you'll get fret buzz around the 5th to the 12th fret....but not sure whats going on if you have all frets buzzing? I like trying to learn my instruments and being able to adjust and maintain it myself.....but I may need a tech:confused:

Top Bottom