• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

swc5150

Hi all, first time post here but long time MM guitar(s) owner. I bought a new Axis last August (Yucatan), and the frets are smooth as silk and the trem bar is able to swing freely. It plays like a dream and performs exactly as I want it to. Today another new Axis arrived, as The Music Zoo had a quilt purple exclusive I had to have, as it's my fav Axis color. This one plays nice, but the fret edges feel like they weren't rounded off enough and no matter what I do, the trem bar is stiff as can be. The volume knob is also stiff as a board compared to my Yucatan one, but perhaps that'll loosen over time? In short, I'm not immediately bonding with this one like I did the Yucatan, other than the color is stunning. I also have an '09 that is silky smooth like the Yucatan, but I didn't buy it new, so I don't if was "broken in" by the time I got it? Again, I can see the volume knob loosening up, not sure about the trem bar, but I'm I wrong in thinking the stainless frets are now what they'll be after hours of playing? Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Slick64

Fret edges may be a result of humidity, and can be easily addressed.

Have you look at how many springs are holding that trem in place?

Have you swapped trem arms?

swc5150

Thanks for the response. I think the wood may be swelling a little, as it's a little better today than yesterday, helping the fret edges. 2 springs holding the trem, but that tension is just fine. I tried the trem bar from my other '21 and it's super stiff as well. It seems like the bar hole is more narrow than the other, maybe from too much chrome plating? Even just resting the bar in the hole, it's super stiff. It sounds stupid probably, but I can't stand a bar that doesn't swing freely. I tried a little 3 in one oil on it, with no success, but maybe I'll try a little more today.

swc5150

Put probably 5 hours on it today. Neck I think is climatizing, volume knob is loosening, but that dang trem bar is still super stiff. It did play better as the day went on. Frets still seem a bit high compared to my others, but I’m getting used to it. I want to love this guitar because the color and quilt is perfect in my eyes. If I can get tube trem sorted out, all will be right in the world:) I’m sure between MM and The Music Zoo, we’ll get it figured out.

fbecir

Hello

Nice guitars you have !
I don't own a MusicMan with Floyd Rose, but normally there is a screw for tightening / loosening the trem bar ?

fbecir

Problem solved! I found the adjustment screw. You have to out the bar in dive position to see it.

Well, it was what I had in mind. On the classic MusicMan vibrato, it is the same. You have to dive the bar to see the screw and adjust it.
Glad you solve your problem (and now you can adjust perfectly the looseness of the bar)

Top Bottom