• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

daneford

I need some pickup suggestions for an hsh silo. It's a great playing guitar and I really like the splitting the stock wiring does, I'm just not a huge fan of the overall bright/thin tonality of the stock pickups. The neck pickup is passable, but I'm not a huge fan of the bridge at all.

I'm looking for suggestions that would allow for the same kind of splitting but with a little more beef. I am not looking for super high output, and plan on sticking to Duncan or Dimarzio.

For reference:

I had a jb and duncan antiquity texas strat hots in my silo special for a long time. I tried a Dimarzio fortitude, area, and injector for awhile. It was okay, but I recently went back to the jb/antiquities. Turns out I really like those.

Another silo hardtail has paf pros. I get along with those fine, but they are a little too dark/muddy sometimes.

I use fuzz a moderate amount.

I like the pickups in the cutlass and axis.

Thanks in advance!

Sweat

Well I had a Sterling by MM Jason Richardson 6 Cutlass for sale and no one even sniffed so I pulled it and now have a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates on the way for it.

I think that would be killer in a silo then get another SD for the single coil , lots of choices , take a chance on something you would not normally do on the single coil , oh get a new pick guard as well just for fun.

tbonesullivan

There are plenty of good offerings from both. Tone Zone / Air Norton is a time-tested combo, and the "True velvet" single coil seems to work well with it.

If you want a bit less power, the Air Zone or Andy Timmons AT-1 are some other choices for bridge pickup.

mr mojo

😉I need some pickup suggestions for an hsh silo. It's a great playing guitar and I really like the splitting the stock wiring does, I'm just not a huge fan of the overall bright/thin tonality of the stock pickups. The neck pickup is passable, but I'm not a huge fan of the bridge at all.

I'm looking for suggestions that would allow for the same kind of splitting but with a little more beef. I am not looking for super high output, and plan on sticking to Duncan or Dimarzio.

For reference:

I had a jb and duncan antiquity texas strat hots in my silo special for a long time. I tried a Dimarzio fortitude, area, and injector for awhile. It was okay, but I recently went back to the jb/antiquities. Turns out I really like those.

Another silo hardtail has paf pros. I get along with those fine, but they are a little too dark/muddy sometimes.

I use fuzz a moderate amount.

I like the pickups in the cutlass and axis.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Daneford ! Without pics it doesn't exist.😉

daneford

You have got a very nice collection of Silos.👍
Thanks! They're my favorites. I've had 4 others over the years, but these are the ones I've kept. The red one has been with me for about 20 years now.
Are the bridge HBs in the Silo and Silo Special identical tonewise?
No. They're very different. The Silo Special has an old JB I just put back in. The Silo is the stock virtual PAF.

daneford

I have DiMarzio 36th anniversary neck and bridge in my 24 fret silo, which I really like.

I had those in an Ibanez RG520 (Mahogany body HH). It's been awhile though. Can you compare them to the virtual PAF?

I've got a white fortitude, which is a tweaked 36th anni, that I could throw in there. I've been thinking about changing the pickguard to a tortoise shell and going with white pickups anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom