• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sscalera2

Hey everyone,

So I purchased a used EBMM 25th Anniversary and it's an absolute killer guitar. Sounds incredible, plays incredible, looks incredible. Basically my dream guitar that I have wanted for years. However, I'm having an issue with microphonic feedback on the bridge pickup if I play with a decent level of distortion/volume. Its very high pitched feedback that occurs when I'm not playing is present for all pickup positions besides neck only. It's fine for playing at low levels alone but an absolute headache if I try to play with a drummer.

I'm fairly certain there is something wrong with the bridge pickup because the same amp settings do not cause this on any of my other 7 guitars and it doesn't happen with the neck pickup on the 25th. Not sure how I can fix the pickup myself, I contacted EBMM support and they said they would sell me a replacement pickup if I sent the defective one back but they would have to wait 2 months for a replacement from DiMarzio.

However, I have no idea how to take the pickup out myself so I would probably have to take it to a tech to pull it out, and then back again to install it in two months when I get the pickup. I'm debating whether or not to go through all this trouble or if I should try to get a similar sounding bridge pickup and only have to take it to the shop once and be done with it in a couple days instead of 2+ months. It's a shame because the bridge pickup is part of the reason I bought the 25th, I love it so much in my axis.

So basically I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this issue myself, or any recommendations on a similar sounding bridge pickup. I would prefer not to go with a Tonezone as I have it in one of my other guitars and I'm not crazy about it, sounds kind of muddy to me and maybe a touch too hot. The current bridge pickup cleans up real well when I roll off on the volume knob which I love. I was thinking maybe a super distortion? But then again I have no idea if the super distortion would drop right into my 25th or would require extra routing which would be nice to avoid.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

beej

It's hard to know what the issue is. Those pickups are really something, though. Personally I'd get the replacement from MM and wait it out. (See if they can order it, then send yours in when they have it in stock.)

According to Dimarzio, the AT1 the next closest one they make. You could also look at that, it's a great pickup.

Rbg

I think if you post detailed photo of the guitar and the back cavity we can give you step by step instruction how to take it out. Fir the defective one you can just clip the wires next to the selector and the your tech will desolder those pieces later.

edhalen

Congrats on becoming a member of the 25th owners club!!! Welcome to the family- one thing to note. We have a saying around here - the guitar doesn’t exist without pics!!!! :)

Top Bottom