• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Scott miner

I dont have any photos yet. But my music teacher has what he says is a an original music man stingray from 77 with double humbuckers, three switches and is in a trans black finish.

The bridge has been replaced with I think an original badass. Which he says is way better then the originals.

The part that's weird to me is that the scerial number is hand etched into the neck plate. I haven't seen this on any older instruments from music man.

I see him tomorrow for lessons I'll take some photos is he will let me and post them.

As far as I knew double humbucks diddnt show up till EBMM. But this thing is mind blowing. And light!

Rod Trussbroken

I dont have any photos yet. But my music teacher has what he says is a an original music man stingray from 77 with double humbuckers, three switches and is in a trans black finish.

The bridge has been replaced with I think an original badass. Which he says is way better then the originals.

The part that's weird to me is that the scerial number is hand etched into the neck plate. I haven't seen this on any older instruments from music man.

I see him tomorrow for lessons I'll take some photos is he will let me and post them.

As far as I knew double humbucks diddnt show up till EBMM. But this thing is mind blowing. And light!
Hi and welcome to the Forum.
It's a fake (n)

P.S. Post pics anyway. Interested to see it, A dual pickup "Sabre" Bass was introduced mid 1979 but not with the other attributes described.

danny-79

I agree with Gav. Very dodgy sounding. Post some photos but from what you have said it sounds very fake to me

Golem

Doesnt hafta be "very dodgy". Might be an authentic original MM whose only mod is a conversion to 2H.

danny-79

Doesnt hafta be "very dodgy". Might be an authentic original MM whose only mod is a conversion to 2H.
True. I have seen them done before, a second pickup being added in multiple different variations (a J style pup in the neck position at an angle was the last one I saw)

kevins

any pictures to tell if its a fake or a mod?

in 78 and 79 there is a two humbucker musicman but its the sabre and not the stingray. the sabre has two humbuckers, and three switches, trans black wasnt really a finish offered back then.

few questions though is it a slab body or is it contoured? what name is on the headstock? is the neck a three bolt joint or a four or six?

The sabre bridge was a high mass bridge that was signifigantly larger than the sting rays bridge but definitely not an aftermarket bad ass bridge, its a lot better than the aftermarket bridge!

if its a modded 79 sabre and all thats changed is the bridge, and its a good price and the pickups and preamp are original, i would say maybe go for it, dont pay more than 1500 or so for something with a removed bridge and that is refinished though. theres only about 5,000 of those in the world and they're amazing sounding basses. two very important things to check on an old bass like that, if the preamp and the pickups are original, and if the truss rod works!

Top Bottom