• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

chrose1201

Now that I have your attention...What a long, strange trip it's been. Several years back I was playing in 2 bands where I really needed Strat tones and my 1990 Strat covered it all, so all was good. But then I got a jones for a Les Paul so I could get that humbucker sound for a few songs. Well that didn't cut it. Then somehow I discovered the Luke 3. I got myself a beautiful blue HH. I found though that I could not isolate the pups to one single coil, I could only split the pups into pairs of single coils and so that didn't work (in retrospect I probably should have gotten the HSS) anyway, I sold it to fund a new partscaster. The neck was custom made to be a near identical replica of the L3 neck. However I am no longer in those bands and now I need humbuckers for 90% of the songs. I got a 2000 LP Classic and the neck is fantastic and the tone is immense. But now I need a back up. I was thinking another LP, but I really want to be able to get a Strat tone for the few songs where I'll need it. Then I remembered how amazing the L3 was and this time spitting the coils in the 2nd position may well mimic the Strat in the 4th position. But then I saw the Sabre which also has a 5 way and bonus it does not have a battery boost. I don't like needing a battery, I didn't use the boost that much when I had the L3 before.
So what do you think? L3 or Sabre or something else that will give me Les Paul humbucker quality but then a Strat tone in the same guitar for the occasional time I need it. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

chrose1201

Thanks DrKev. You know when I was comparing the specs of the L3 and Sabre, I noticed the Sabre has a radius of 10" vs the L3 @ 12". My partscaster is 12" and of course I loved the L3 at 12" too. I did play a Tele yesterday with a radius of 9.5" and I liked it. Aside from that I see that the Sabre comes with a set of 10-46 and the L3 comes with 09-42. Why is this? This could be important as I am used to playing with the Mighty Slinky's which is is 8.5-40. Thanks again.

Ventanaman

Sounds like a L3 HSS may be what you need. I would also consider the Cutlass RS HSS (I really want one) and the Axis Super Sport - great single coil tones in pos 2 & 4. I wired mine to split the neck in pots 4 - sounds very good. YMMV.

Welcome aboard!

chrose1201

Sounds like a L3 HSS may be what you need. I would also consider the Cutlass RS HSS (I really want one) and the Axis Super Sport - great single coil tones in pos 2 & 4. I wired mine to split the neck in pots 4 - sounds very good. YMMV.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks Ventanaman. I have considered the HSS in other applications, but honestly I use the neck humbucker more than anything else and just boost it if I need a little extra. Funny thing that I used the bridge single coil on my Strat a lot, just not on the LP. I have often wondered why you don't see SSH as an option? That for me might be perfect!

racerx

I’d second the Cutlass or L3 HSS configurations for flexibility. I personally find the L3 HH in between settings with boost get me where I need for single sounds. Though the Valentine or Cutlass comes out for primarily quacky or twangy playing.

Regarding a Lester. I don’t want to speak too much on that given the audience, but they’ve been really hit or miss lately. I had a chance to try a 2021 Custom Shop Custom in Randy White and I was really disappointed in it. There are great ones out there but you have to dig too much for the price point in my opinion.

jayjayjay

I have a Sabre. I adore the pups in them, wonderful and dark... but I wouldn't say they quite substitute for a Strat in the 2 and 4 positions. It more of that scooped sound that you'd expect, but it still has some "darkness" that I don't hear in my Strat. Plus, if you need it it doesn't have true single coil sound, like you'd get in positions 1, 3 and 5.

As for necks, my Strat has a 9.5" radius, both my EBMM have 10" radii, and I have a few SbMM that have 12" radii. I honestly can't tell too much of a difference between them - the back neck carve has a much greater impact on feel, at least to me. Both my SbMM and EBMM Axis have the same asymmetric back carve, the only real difference being the radius, and like I said... I can't really tell a difference.

All that said, the Sabre may be just what you're looking for, but the only way to know for sure is to play one. Are you possibly close to any EBMM dealers that you could try out a Sabre? Preferably also in comparison w/ a Cutlass or L3?

One final note - As you noted, the L3 requires a battery, as does the Cutlass, but the Sabre does not. There's one other possibility you may want to consider: The Silhouette, in the HSH configuration. It doesn't take a battery (note that the HSS configuration does), and with coil splits looks like it most closely approximates the pup selection of a Strat.

Rbg

as a new L2 and L3 owner I’d suggest to consider giving the active circuit another chance. I find it increase the versatility of the L3 a lot. I like the onboard boost better than any of my boost pedals. It gives a really nice broken tone on clean or a very nice and tight boost with an overdriven channel. I miss it immediately I switch to the L2. Oh and 2 and 4 on the new HH models are really good.

fbecir

Buy a Morse
You have 2 humbuckers and 2 single coils ... 11 pickups combinations ... No battery

And with a Morse, you look cool !

Astrofreq

Definitely an EBMM, but geez, where do we start? An HSS Cutlass or Luke are mighty fine choices.

In my opinion, the 2 & 4 positions on the Axis Super Sport do NOT sound stratty to my ears, at least in the 'quack' aspect. Cutlass does for sure.

chrose1201

Definitely an EBMM, but geez, where do we start? An HSS Cutlass or Luke are mighty fine choices.

In my opinion, the 2 & 4 positions on the Axis Super Sport do NOT sound stratty to my ears, at least in the 'quack' aspect. Cutlass does for sure.
That's ok the Axis Super Sport is not on my list. :)

Pink

I'll swim against the current here and suggest another LP Standard. Splittable HB in the bridge with low output P90 in the neck or another combination to give you chime and articulation of a single coil.

Really depends on which model/brand of guitar you enjoy playing more.

Rbg

I honestly think it is not about the sound. You can get all sort of sounds with different pickups and amps/EQs. I think it is about the feel of an instrument. I personally can't imagine physically playing any other instruments than Lukes after I played one for a couple of days.

chrose1201

I'll swim against the current here and suggest another LP Standard. Splittable HB in the bridge with low output P90 in the neck or another combination to give you chime and articulation of a single coil.

Really depends on which model/brand of guitar you enjoy playing more.
1655841631959.png I was thinking of something along those lines last night, but I hadn't thought of a P90.... Hmm....

Ventanaman

That’s fair - I have much lower output pickups in my Super Sports, so when split I can get more quack. Stock Axis pickups are some of the darkest I have ever played.

All of this talk makes me really want a Cutlass HSS. Any specs on the humbucker besides that its inexplicably ceramic?

V_S

But then I saw the Sabre which also has a 5 way and bonus it does not have a battery boost. I don't like needing a battery, I didn't use the boost that much when I had the L3 before.
An Albert Lee HH might be worth consideration... Mahagoni Body, Rosewood neck, 5-Way-Switch, no battery.

chrose1201

An Albert Lee HH might be worth consideration... Mahagoni Body, Rosewood neck, 5-Way-Switch, no battery.
I gotta tell you, the Albert Lee while a great guitar like all EBMM's that is a love it or hate it type body style!

GWDavis28

I gotta tell you, the Albert Lee while a great guitar like all EBMM's that is a love it or hate it type body style!
Yah it's not for everyone, it's the Jetson's of guitar bodies, but I've got 2 and love them both man. One of the most balanced guitars ever.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom