• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CRAIG4FSU

I'm loading up another pickguard for my Cutlass. I've got a set of Dimarzio transition pups wired to split coil on a 2 knob set up i'm trying to see if i can get loaded into a new pg. Any input on where the neck pup should be located (measurement), etc? I'm not too concerned with opening the cavity if need be.

Anybody successfully pull this off yet?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

jmmp

I’d love an HH cutlass. I have an SSS and HSS, but HH is my preferred setup. I wonder if EBMM has one in the works? Or maybe the Stingray is supposed to fill that niche?

jmmp

I had the same thought about stepping on the toes of the stingray. The pickups sound different though. The cutlass H has a lot more midrange to my ear, and maybe has a tad more output.

GWDavis28

So the Jason Richardson model is suppose to be like a Cutlass in HH form. I guess it could be possible.

Glenn |B)

vic_loher

Just a question. Why would you want to put HH into a Cutlass? Don't you get a Cutlass for the single coil sound? Just curious. Thanks.

CRAIG4FSU

Just a question. Why would you want to put HH into a Cutlass? Don't you get a Cutlass for the single coil sound? Just curious. Thanks.

To have different options. I have several loaded pick guards for my strats and change them to suit my mood. This is just another option for my Cutlass.

GWDavis28

Is the Cutlass routed for a pair of humbuckers? I thought it was routed for the pups that the guitar came with (SSS, or SSH), I could be mistaken.

Glenn |B)

TripHazard

You'll definitely need a router, but that's no big deal. After that, you're really just hooking up to the output jack. You could convert the wires to the output to a molex setup perhaps - a quick release/attach set-up for whatever guard you want to put on. All the buffered circuit stuff comes away with the stock electronics.

GWDavis28

You'll definitely need a router, but that's no big deal. After that, you're really just hooking up to the output jack. You could convert the wires to the output to a molex setup perhaps - a quick release/attach set-up for whatever guard you want to put on. All the buffered circuit stuff comes away with the stock electronics.

Yah EBMM use to use Molex connectors for that on the Silo's.

Glenn |B)

CRAIG4FSU

I got the SD Antiquity Texas Hot set in. Vast improvement over the stock set, but still sub par. I'll keep messing with pickup height adjustments. Maybe, I got a lemon?

Do you think 300K pots are worth a shot before I route this sucker? The playability and quality are why I'm keeping it and trying to get it sounding better.

TripHazard

Nah, I think you should route and it really make it your own, then post some cool pics for us Cutlass nuts. I’d quite like an HH Cutlass myself - next to my AL and STV it’s my most comfy player

CRAIG4FSU

I've got a dual hum pg on the way. I'm taking the Dimarzio Transition pickups and wiring (coil split) out of my Sterling LUKE to load the new pg.

I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom