• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DavidOfOz

Hey folks

DavidOfOz here, blasting back after a long absence. It’s been years since I spent 47 hours/day on here…my bank account is in a much better position due to my absence 😆.

I got a message from my guitar tech (Rob) the other day saying he had something special in his shop: a BFR Silhouette Gold Roller. Rob said it’s one of the best guitars he’s ever seen (...and this guy has been in the business since the 80s). I dropped in to see it: it is a thing of beauty!! I remember the excitement in this forum when the Gold Roller came out. But I can’t remember the details and have struggled to find much using search. Rob and I are curious to learn more.

So…Does anyone here have any fun facts, trivia or info? Like, was this a limited edition (eg as per the Dargies, True Gold Lukes, etc) or was it available to order over a number of years? If the latter, do we know how long it was available for? Were there variations or options? Was it an anniversary model or just a cool addition to the range? Any guesstimates as to how many exist in the wild? Any personal accounts from owners of these treasures? Any info would be great!

All we know is it's a 2010 Model (made June 4th according to S/N database), has the matching headstock, has the BFR inlay, and that it is absolutely gorgeous. If I won the lotto, I’d buy it in a heartbeat, but I’m scrimping and saving for a Cutlass HT right now. (For anyone in Melbourne looking for something King Midas touched, I can point you in a direction. 😄)

(Hmmm. Maybe the Cutlass can wait...there goes my bank balance. 😆 )

Thanks

Sweat

The Gold Roller was a cool guitar, not sure how many years it was around but it was available in a few other finished like black sugar and Dargie Delite II.

Very light and I think it was done in conjunction with Ron Woods or someone like that, here's something I found.

GWDavis28

I almost bought that when it was on Reverb, because it was so cool, but I'm not a gold hardware guy. I love the Black Sugar run, the Dargie Delight 1 is my absolute fav of course.

12 fret BFR marker, Ebony fret board, Black with gold fleck sparkle, Roast necks.

Glenn |B)

Bungholi0

Hey folks

DavidOfOz here, blasting back after a long absence. It’s been years since I spent 47 hours/day on here…my bank account is in a much better position due to my absence 😆.

I got a message from my guitar tech (Rob) the other day saying he had something special in his shop: a BFR Silhouette Gold Roller. Rob said it’s one of the best guitars he’s ever seen (...and this guy has been in the business since the 80s). I dropped in to see it: it is a thing of beauty!! I remember the excitement in this forum when the Gold Roller came out. But I can’t remember the details and have struggled to find much using search. Rob and I are curious to learn more.

So…Does anyone here have any fun facts, trivia or info? Like, was this a limited edition (eg as per the Dargies, True Gold Lukes, etc) or was it available to order over a number of years? If the latter, do we know how long it was available for? Were there variations or options? Was it an anniversary model or just a cool addition to the range? Any guesstimates as to how many exist in the wild? Any personal accounts from owners of these treasures? Any info would be great!

All we know is it's a 2010 Model (made June 4th according to S/N database), has the matching headstock, has the BFR inlay, and that it is absolutely gorgeous. If I won the lotto, I’d buy it in a heartbeat, but I’m scrimping and saving for a Cutlass HT right now. (For anyone in Melbourne looking for something King Midas touched, I can point you in a direction. 😄)

(Hmmm. Maybe the Cutlass can wait...there goes my bank balance. 😆 )

Thanks
There must be a run on gold. A 20th anniversary sillhouette (non bfr) one came up on a sydney fb group last month. It doesnt have the matching headstock. Its being sold as a "gold roller", has the firebird style gold pickups.

mantrarock

I did some digging and it confirmed that the Gold Roller was the BFR version of the Silo, when all the other BFR models were initially released (Luke, JP, etc.). It’s the spiritual successor to the 20th Silo and was a regular production model, right?

PeteDuBaldo

David, I had a few of the very first Gold Rollers come through my shop back in 2008 (maybe early 2009, I'll have to look it up), and with the incredibly light body I knew I wanted one for myself. I wound up ordering one in the Dargie 2 package and it is usually my drop-d and backup guitar when I am out with the bands. The Gold Roller was offered for several years as a production model B.F.R. until it was discontinued in October 20215. There were several "upcharge" finishes/packages that were offered on it from time to time, not just the "Lucky Gold" color.

mr mojo

David, I had a few of the very first Gold Rollers come through my shop back in 2008 (maybe early 2009, I'll have to look it up), and with the incredibly light body I knew I wanted one for myself. I wound up ordering one in the Dargie 2 package and it is usually my drop-d and backup guitar when I am out with the bands. The Gold Roller was offered for several years as a production model B.F.R. until it was discontinued in October 20215. There were several "upcharge" finishes/packages that were offered on it from time to time, not just the "Lucky Gold" color.
Like this in Cardinal Red:

20180921_140941.jpg

DavidOfOz

Thanks for your thoughts and info, guys!

I was stunned to see one turn up in outer suburban Melbourne...then again, my man Rob "knows people" and does some wicked trades from time to time. 😄 Still feeling tempted.

Thanks for the info on the "upcharge" finishes/packages, @PeteDuBaldo ! I had no idea!! (Must have been around the time I joined EBMM-aholics Anonymous!! 😁)

Sweat

Thanks for your thoughts and info, guys!

I was stunned to see one turn up in outer suburban Melbourne...then again, my man Rob "knows people" and does some wicked trades from time to time. 😄 Still feeling tempted.

Thanks for the info on the "upcharge" finishes/packages, @PeteDuBaldo ! I had no idea!! (Must have been around the time I joined EBMM-aholics Anonymous!! 😁)
Do it, not many floating around! If I could find one at the right dinero I would buy it :)

Top Bottom