• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

I’m feeling quite lucky. The Bongo I brought new is dated to 2019 and has the light weight tuners but also has the anchor bolts in the bridge. (Coming off another thread I’m very happy to have them)
I recently (couldn’t say no to it) a 2007 Bongo. I’ve not had them on the scales (I will do but) can tell you now it’s considerably heavier. The neck feels totally different (not measured it but will) almost thinner across the strings but thicker shape (not to mention the finish being smooth but definitely better than my 4H Bongo) and doesn’t seem to have the same untameable high output as the newer one.
It’s definitely evolved
Basses in question are both 5HH

Any thoughts or comments from older wiser Bongaloids is very much welcome.
I’ll add some photos cause why not !
🤘😜🤘

35BA7EDA-D869-47F5-9831-9B8AFF1E0A00.jpeg

752A539E-E008-471F-842E-3C1C49B70D04.jpeg

five7

My 2005 model was so lite I had to put hipshot ultra lite tuners on it to cure the neck dive. Weighed less than 9 lbs.

danny-79

My 2005 model was so lite I had to put hipshot ultra lite tuners on it to cure the neck dive. Weighed less than 9 lbs.
I do remember you doing that. That was a nice bass.
Mines just shy of 11lb it balances perfectly on the strap. Hasn’t got the same oomph as the purple one. It’s a nice bass to play though.
I’ve not got my four string with me at the min to weigh but that’s very light (2005) and it teeters on the strap. I think if that had been a five then it would definitely neck dive.

The paint on the stealth is so thin. Is that normal? (It’s not pristine by any means)

five7

My stealth bongo chipped and dinged easily compared to my stealth sterling. Basswood and stealth paint?

ZiggyDude

I noticed that the newer cases got lighter. That concerns me a little.

I have 4 Bongo 5s and one Bongo 6. Love the neck on the 6.

Weight difference on the 4s is the usual between identical basses. You can easily go +/- a pound.

I like a heavy bass though. And a wide neck.

ZiggyDude

My last 2 Bongos were a 6 string in that Deep Purple HS and a 5 in the Sparkle Fuchsia HH. The fuchia goes to all the gigs, sometimes the PDN sparkle green. Of the 4 five string Bongos I have, I noticed some difference in the curvature or thickness of the back of the neck (not sure what the right term is for that). But the rest is about the same

I would definitely buy a 5 string in the Harvest Orange - if it didn't have that black along the edges. It takes away from the look. My Sweetwater guy looked into getting one w/o - but sadly received a "No".

Top Bottom