• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Stephane TST

Dear Music Man community,

I just bought a 1978 Sabre II guitar. The original bridge was swapped for a tremolo system, the neck-plate was changed and the string tree was replaced.

Thank God the current tremolo system did not require any routing in the guitar body when installed. This means I can just unscrew it and replace it with a genuine old Music Man bridge. Same thing with the neck plate: the current after market brass neck plate measures the same size of a proper Music Man one. Finally, I can remove the current string holder on the headstock and put a proper Sabre II string tree.

I have contacted the Music Man customer service. They were very friendly in their reply but they don't have parts dating back from 45 years ago, which I fully understand.

Could anyone give me any advice? Even better, would anyone here have these spare parts and would sell them to me?

Many thanks and take care

Stephane

Full.jpeg ?hash=11e1147bdab133107f55d8b0f49036fe.jpg Plate.jpeg

Trem.jpeg

Rod Trussbroken

The link below may help. He mainly deals in Pre-EB Bass parts but I've seen Guitar parts there before:

I have the Pre-EB Sabre Guitar hangtag manual if you need a copy.

P.S. There's also a Pre-EB neck plate on Ebay at the moment. It's advertised as a plate for a Pre-EB Sting Ray Guitar but I'm sure the Sting Ray and Sabre are the same:

NOTE: Serial numbers were recorded on the bridge and not the neck plate.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Bonjour Stephane et bienvenue au forum !

Are the 3-bolt Music Man neck plates the same size as the vintage Fender 3-bolt plates? You may never find an original neck plate, but you might be able to have custom ones made. These people in the Netherlands have a three bolt fender-style neck plate as part of their product templates, perhaps they can make a one-off for you to the dimensions you want?

Gav, you are a wealth of info. Well done!

Stephane TST

The link below may help. He mainly deals in Pre-EB Bass parts but I've seen Guitar parts there before:

I have the Pre-EB Sabre Guitar hangtag manual if you need a copy.

P.S. There's also a Pre-EB neck plate on Ebay at the moment. It's advertised as a plate for a Pre-EB Sting Ray Guitar but I'm sure the Sting Ray and Sabre are the same:

NOTE: Serial numbers were recorded on the bridge and not the neck plate.
Dear Rod,

Many thanks for this valuable information.

Have great week-end!!

Stephane TST

Bonjour Stephane et bienvenue au forum !

Are the 3-bolt Music Man neck plates the same size as the vintage Fender 3-bolt plates? You may never find an original neck plate, but you might be able to have custom ones made. These people in the Netherlands have a three bolt fender-style neck plate as part of their product templates, perhaps they can make a one-off for you to the dimensions you want?

Gav, you are a wealth of info. Well done!

Dear Kev,

Thanks fo taking the time to reply to my post, much appreciated. Merci!

Top Bottom