• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

twiceVehk

I'm getting tired of waiting around for a fretless BFR to come up used (or for them to randomly make a new one I like), it would be really nice if we could just spec fretless necks again on the Stingray Special. Considering Status looks like it's going to go out of business (Status Graphite. The finest hand-made graphite basses and guitars. Made in England.) there will not be any options to make your own without defretting an existing bass. It's time to bring back the fretless Stingray.

Razor1976

I modded my own. I removed the maple fretboard myself. Came off a lot easier than I expected. Had a luthier add an ebony fingerboard. Also swapped the pickup for a Bart and added a series/parallel switch. It's an awesome bass.

kevins

I wanna see them again I got a friend I recommended a musicman to but unfortunately fretless neck isn’t an option you can ask for anymore which is kinda a bummer!

wannarock8

I got a used fretless Bongo 5HH in 2020 and was so impressed I started GASing for a second EBMM fretless bass. My first choice would have been a Bongo 6HH fretless. I ended up getting a BFR Stringray 5H Fuego finish fretless which is a super nice bass.
I think production was down due to circumstances beyond anyone's control for the last couple of years, and that means options were scaled back. Hopefully that situation continues to improve and we'll see fretless basses as an option again. I'd love it if they built a few of the 35th Anniversary Stingray 5H basses that are scheduled to become available this month with a fretless ebony board.

rhythmCity944

I love my old Fretless Stingray. It just has the perfect tone! Best option right now is to wait and see or find an older fretless Stingray. They do come along.

I modded my own. I removed the maple fretboard myself. Came off a lot easier than I expected. Had a luthier add an ebony fingerboard. Also swapped the pickup for a Bart and added a series/parallel switch. It's an awesome bass.

I would do this too if the right bass came along if I absolutely wanted an unlined board.

twiceVehk

I love my old Fretless Stingray. It just has the perfect tone! Best option right now is to wait and see or find an older fretless Stingray. They do come along.

I would do this too if the right bass came along if I absolutely wanted an unlined board.

I have talked to a few luthiers and most of them recommend just having a replica neck made. It's not THAT much more expensive than pulling the board, and you avoid having to tear up an EBMM neck which are very dear.

Top Bottom