• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LunarDanceFloor

Hi, I have a Musicman Stingray and the fretboard appears to have absolutely no protection at all. Looking at photos online, these fretboards seem to get very dirty and that is accepted. Is this part of their charm? Why are they not treated? The strings are off this bass for cleaning and fret polishing. How do I clean the dirty fretboard without damaging it please?

Thank you
Justin

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

They are not unfinished, and never have been. They are treated with a "Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend"

This consists of Birchwood casey Tru-Oil, and then Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax.

Music Man has some youtube videos on cleaning them, and there are also numerous threads on the subject.

LunarDanceFloor

They are not unfinished, and never have been. They are treated with a "Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend"

This consists of Birchwood casey Tru-Oil, and then Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax.

Music Man has some youtube videos on cleaning them, and there are also numerous threads on the subject.
Thanks very much tbonesullivan

danielbravo

This thread was a revelation for me, I'm sure it will be very useful for you

Good vibes

kevins

I got one of the unfinished necks in 2004, at this point only the area directly beneath the strings is the original colour lol

tbonesullivan

Using water mixed with murphy's oil soap and a soft toothbrush is the best advice I can give for getting out the grunge. It also helped with the staining.

As with ANY musical instrument, I always advocate washing your hands before playing, which cleans off the sweat and oils that can get the neck dirty faster.

Top Bottom