• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ajkandy

• This is a quick and terrible photoshop job, but given that I predicted short scales here ages ago (and got mildly yelled at for suggesting it), let me throw this out there. I make no claims to this design, all rights belong to EBMM, etc etc, it's all here in black and white, clear as crystal!
  • Imagine, if you will, a StingRay 5, with one less string, and the same 'teardrop' pickguard shape.
  • Maybe with a slightly narrower body than a standard StingRay, keeping the same curves and chamfered horns from the 5, but leaning towards a little Spector-ish?
  • Made to be lightweight, maybe with a chambered body?
  • Maybe a smaller headstock, similar to the Reflex bass?
  • Also to be available in a downsized short-scale version.
  • Idea: bring back a variety of pickup options: H, HH, HS, SS, SH (for that woofer-and-tweeter arrangement) and an S-S-S layout (like the Big Al, or more like an old 80s PRS Bass IV, with one right at the neck heel)?

stingray54.jpg

tbonesullivan

EBMM already made a bass based on the idea of a smaller lightweight 4 string Stingray 5: The Sterling bass. The only difference was that it didn't have the teardrop style pickguard. The stingray 5 at the time had ceramic magnet pickups, while the Stingray 4 had Alnico pole pieces, and the two basses were almost different things.

Then in 2007-2008, EBMM came out with a Sterling 5 with Ceramic magnet pickups, and changed the pickups in the Stingray 5 to have Alnico pole pieces.

The bass you have pictured has the selector switch very close to the knobs with a "brick" shaped pickup. so it's most likely a ceramic Stingray 5 from the early 2000s

dave1812

I always preferred the SR5 Body and Pickguard over the 4 String. I've always wondered why they didnt make a matching SR4 with the Contours and Teardrop Pickguard tbh.
Now... What about a Stingray 6 with the 5 String Neck and String Spacing like the Myung Bass?

Top Bottom