• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rivers

I have a 2012 Axis Super Sport and understand the original nut is of a compensated design and is of tusq material? I am planning on having it changed out to a Tusq XL (which I believe makes the contact point always lubricated) and was wondering if anyone has the right Graphtech part number that is a replacement for this? Then again, I'm assuming the Graphtech nuts probably wouldn't be compensated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rivers

The Music Man nuts are not Tusq and Graphtech don't make compensated nuts. If you need to order a new one you can call Music Man directly.

Thanks. Curious if going to a non-compensated nut would make a difference in tuning stability?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
No. The front edge of a the non-compensated nut would be in the wrong place so overall tuning might suffer. Also, good tuning stability is 100% possible with any nut, and compensation has nothing to do with it one way or another. Tuning stability is about reducing friction. Here's on old article I wrote about it that might help. A Little Lube goes a Long Way – DrKevGuitar.com

dean701

I'm going to chime in here because I have a lot of first hand experience with the subject. There is no direct graphtech replacement unfortunately but they do make blanks that can be cut to fit. The guitar is an imperfect instrument. It's fine that some believe that the compensated nut is a step in the right direction but it is by no means necessary. At no point will a guitar ever be in perfect tune with itself across all spots of the fretboard. In fact even if it was, then pressing the string too softly or hard will also change the intended pitch and it would be out of tune. There are plenty of guitars that do not have compensated nuts as it is not a be all and end all of things. Having said that don't stress about the nut. If it is being problematic by causing string sticking issues then yes, you should get on that. There is nothing more frustrating than a guitar that won't stay in tune. Graphtech nuts are great but if I don't have tuning issues then I wouldn't go changing the nut. Like I said, if tuning issues are present then I'd fix that. my top 2 spots to look are the nut then the saddle. I have owned over 20 axis guitars and 50 guitars over the last 20 years and I consider myself well versed in troubleshooting them. I have 4 axis super sports that I have swapped saddles for the wilkinson wls130. the saddles were ultimately the cause of binding the string. To troubleshoot, I always use a sharpie, a magnifying glass, a string gauge ruler and sometimes a razor blade. mark or score the string in a spot at the nut or where you think it is binding and measure to see where the string is not returning to normal. In my experience, most of the times the nut is where to look first but sometimes it isn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom