• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gwendolyn

Hey guys - Sterling just released the chambered version of the Valentine, but made no announcements of a US-made version. On the chance that they don't do one of those, I would be interested in swapping the neck and pickups from the US version onto the body of the Sterling. It seems like there's about a 1mm difference at the last fret between the two necks when looking at the spec sheets - I am wondering if anyone has any experience with doing this kind of thing and any issues I may run into while trying this? Thanks in advance!

fogman

From what I've seen, a lot of the components between the two brands are not compatible as far as sizing.... more specifically, screw hole placement.
I would carefully measure the bolt spacing before attempting it. ... same with the pickups.

gwendolyn

From what I've seen, a lot of the components between the two brands are not compatible as far as sizing.... more specifically, screw hole placement.
I would carefully measure the bolt spacing before attempting it. ... same with the pickups.
Good call! I have the Sterling model coming in the mail tomorrow so I can measure the screw spacing for the neck when it comes, maybe someone here can let me know the distance between the screws on their US Valentine? I don't have one of those yet but would buy one if it's possible to cobble together a Frankentine haha

racerx

I'm not sure anything would align -- they're similar models but closer to cousins than twins. At a glance the pickup mounting is different and will require modification to fit (SbMM: 4 hole pickup ring vs. EBMM 3 hole mounting). This also doesn't account for losing the split coil and boost functionality of the EBMM board. You can splice the EBMM pickups into whatever the SbMM is equipped with, but it won't a be a 1:1 match and will require some testing/sketching to reconcile. The other hardware will also likely be incompatible and require modification if you're thinking of swapping bridges, tuners, pots, etc.

As for neck screws -- looking at the SbMM photos, it looks close to my Valentines. I'd be more concerned with neck pocket fit and the SbMM tolerances. I doubt they're designed to the same exact spec (the EBMM neck pockets are very snug and precise).

A semi-hollow Valentine would be pretty far out though, wonder if we'll see a BFR run to test the waters for an EBMM version (maybe the SbMM sales will influence that).

gwendolyn

I'm not sure anything would align -- they're similar models but closer to cousins than twins. At a glance the pickup mounting is different and will require modification to fit (SbMM: 4 hole pickup ring vs. EBMM 3 hole mounting). This also doesn't account for losing the split coil and boost functionality of the EBMM board. You can splice the EBMM pickups into whatever the SbMM is equipped with, but it won't a be a 1:1 match and will require some testing/sketching to reconcile. The other hardware will also likely be incompatible and require modification if you're thinking of swapping bridges, tuners, pots, etc.

As for neck screws -- looking at the SbMM photos, it looks close to my Valentines. I'd be more concerned with neck pocket fit and the SbMM tolerances. I doubt they're designed to the same exact spec (the EBMM neck pockets are very snug and precise).

A semi-hollow Valentine would be pretty far out though, wonder if we'll see a BFR run to test the waters for an EBMM version (maybe the SbMM sales will influence that).
The neck is honestly the biggest thing to swap for me - pickups and extra boost/split functions are nice, but the EBMM neck is the main reason I've owned their guitars. But it sounds like I just need to wait for them to make a US version! I've always wanted an EBMM Valentine but I prefer playing semi-hollows live, that would be a dream come true if I could have both.

Ted

Was just noodling on my Pine Green Valentine when I saw this thread. The new Sterling Valentine Chambered are pretty cool-- I'd like to try one, but I'm pretty spoiled on the USA EBMM to the point where I'd probably just wait for the EBMM version to come out. I can't see how they wouldn't release that.

The thought of trying to combine a Sterling body with an EBMM neck etc, is not something I'd personally attempt. Haha.

I noticed that even though the Sterlings are chambered, the Bigsby version at Sweetwater is 9.2 lbs and the hardtail is about 7.2 lbs. Both my EBMM solidbody Valentines are that weight or lighter. I wonder if a USA version would be lighter than the Sterlings.

I keep waiting to see when the new colors come out for the Valentine line but so far nothing. (I keep picturing the fictional Trans Pistachio Burst I saw and held in my dreams, haha) I thought they would have been announced at the NAMM show. Maybe when they come out, they'll also accompany a semi-hollow version, though I'd think something that big would debut at a NAMM show.

After having both my BFR Pine Green and my Trans Buttermilk Valentines for a while, I can really appreciate the tonal and stylistic differences between them. If the Valentine's father is a Gibson ES-335 and it's mother is a Telecaster, then my Pine Green BFR takes after its dad a bit more while the Buttermilk one is more like its mom.

I love this model. A semi-hollow USA version would just take the cake.

Johnny Alien

I thought I remembered reading that they are purposely different enough that you can't swap stuff easily. Just buy one and enjoy it for what it is. I plan on doing that with the AL40P. Its not a USA Music Man but the idea of a poplar body with P-90s is appealing to me and not available on the USA models.

Ted

I thought I remembered reading that they are purposely different enough that you can't swap stuff easily. Just buy one and enjoy it for what it is. I plan on doing that with the AL40P. Its not a USA Music Man but the idea of a poplar body with P-90s is appealing to me and not available on the USA models.

Those new Sterling Albert Lees with P-90s look very cool. I especially dig the green one.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
From what I've see fitting an EBMM pickguard to a SBMM bass, there could be differences in both neck width and length. The scale length will be the same, sure, but how much wood is there from the end of the neck to the last fret and how long is neck pocket? You may not be able to just butt the end of the neck into the end of the pocket, you need to make sure the frets are in the right position relative to the bridge or you may not be able to intonate correctly with the saddles.

If the neck is too big to fit in the pocket, the pocket will need to be enlarged. If the neck is smaller than the pocket stability will be compromised and you should have a luthier shim the sides of the neck pocket. In any case, you may have to have the screw holes in the neck plugged and re-drilled.

And if the depth (height) of the neck is different, you may have difficulty dialing in the string action.

Maybe you'll be lucky and very little will need to be done, but it could also turn into a big job that you may not be happy with. Before you do anything get out a calipers and take measurements.

mcro2430

The neck is honestly the biggest thing to swap for me - pickups and extra boost/split functions are nice, but the EBMM neck is the main reason I've owned their guitars. But it sounds like I just need to wait for them to make a US version! I've always wanted an EBMM Valentine but I prefer playing semi-hollows live, that would be a dream come true if I could have both.
The sterling neck and the EBMM valentine neck are very different unfortunately. I loved the Sterling valentine when it first came out so I bought an EBMM only to find the neck felt more narrow and didn't work for me.

Top Bottom