• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

EVHplayer

Hello all,
I was previously a lurker here but have joined the forum as of today. I seem to remember reading somewhere here that the 2013-2014 Axis necks had perhaps the thinnest profile (front to back). I've made the decision that the only guitar for me is going to have to be an Axis. The necks are unbeatable for me compared to any other guitars. I've started the process of looking for a used Axis and didn't know if I should only concentrate on finding one made between 2013-2014 or if anyone is knowledgeable for advice. Since this will likely be an Internet purchase, I won't have the luxury of playing it first. It is unlikely I will find one locally. As you can see by my user name, EVH is my absolute favorite player and I've come to the conclusion that his EBMM was the finest of all his signature guitars made. They are very pricy so I'm going to hope to get an Axis. Any advices will be appreciated

dibart77

Welcome to the Forum, EVHplayer!

I don't think there's any truth to the idea that the 2013-2014 Axis necks are thinner. The necks are made by a CNC robot. Sure, they're sanded by humans, but there was no "decision" to make anything thinner. I have 87Axis's, 6 of which were made in 2013-2014. I can't tell any difference. I suspect if I dug out those 2013-2014 Axis's and used a digital caliper to measure them, they wouldn't be any different than other years.

Long story short: You can't go wrong with any Axis!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
What he said! And welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, there has been no change in specification of any guitar neck at any time. (The various Petrucci models have changed fingerboard radius but other that...) There are plenty of people on the forum who will swear that some necks are just a little fatter or thinner than others but that's down to the hand sanding and finishing.

Ninemile

I have three Axis guitars; 1997 Sport with rosewood fingerboard, 1999 Sport with maple on maple and a 2014 Super Sport with maple on maple. (Now the 2014 & 1997 necks have been swapped) I have no doubt that the two maple necks are near identical to each other, but the rosewood is a little different. It definitely is a tad larger, mainly in the shoulders I'd say, but it could easily just be a sanding thing. All three are great and I prefer them over any other neck that I have played. In fact, I just played my first ever Luke II over Thanksgiving. The Axis necks are the only EBMM necks I have played, besides all of the Sterling necks. The Luke was super interesting. I could tell it was an offspring of the same parents but a little different than my Axis'. I liked it. It was still better than anything else in this smaller Arizona guitar store, but I did not like it over my Axis necks.

midlifecrisisDaddio

I am a newbie here, so bear with me if I am off on this one...

My Axis SS is my favorite guitar, nothing really comes close- I am lucky enough to have an SS with a Piezo and a newly acquired P90 model, both semi-hollow. By far, the best neck ever for me. Do any of you know which EBMM model comes close to same neck feel as the Axis? I have run through four iterations of JPs, the Luke, AL, JV, and the Steve Morse- nothing fit as well as the Axis has. Thoughts and observations are appreciated

racerx

I am a newbie here, so bear with me if I am off on this one...

My Axis SS is my favorite guitar, nothing really comes close- I am lucky enough to have an SS with a Piezo and a newly acquired P90 model, both semi-hollow. By far, the best neck ever for me. Do any of you know which EBMM model comes close to same neck feel as the Axis? I have run through four iterations of JPs, the Luke, AL, JV, and the Steve Morse- nothing fit as well as the Axis has. Thoughts and observations are appreciated
The StingRay is close! Post some pics of your Axes!

Ninemile

This question gets asked quite a bit and everyone wants to know what other EBMM neck is closest to the Axis neck. The funny thing is, I have yet to see a consistent answer. I've seen people say the AL is closest, the Steve Morse is closest, the Stingray is closest etc.. I feel like I could tell you if only I had the opportunity to play em all. Like many here, I know this Axis neck like the back of my hand. I had never played another EBMM guitar besides the Axis until this past Thanksgiving. I got to play a Luke in a guitar store. Cave Creek guitars in AZ. I immediately felt the difference while simultaneously feeling the similarities. Of all the guitars in the store, and I played about 9 of them from PRS to Fender to a Larivee Tele!?!, to a Knaggs etc.. the Luke neck was by far the best in the store but still not as good as the Axis to my hands. It had a somewhat odd neck carve compared to the Axis. My hands felt it immediately. But, I still liked it and can only assume that I'd like most, if not all, EBMM necks. I keep my Sterling Axis next to my desk at work. The neck on it is super nice but feels like a baseball bat compared to the MM Axis neck.

racerx

This question gets asked quite a bit and everyone wants to know what other EBMM neck is closest to the Axis neck. The funny thing is, I have yet to see a consistent answer.
FWIW I've got a few of both and while they aren't identical they're at least the closest to each other out of the models I've played/own. Someone asked for measurements in the past and I recall them being pretty close on the calipers as well.

Top Bottom