• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

orangeaxis

Hi everyone.

I wanted to pass on my experience with finishing my unfinished neck.

Here's the story:

I have an orange axis (I'm sure that doesnt come as a big surprise). As with everyone else who has played a MM guitar, I instantly fell in love with the raw neck. I have a hard time playing on anything else.

So much so that I now want a raw neck on my other favorite guitar, a two color sunburst 54 strat reissue.

So I ordered a bitchin' birdseye maple neck raw from Warmoth (by the way, I cant say enough good things about those guys or the neck I got).

I did my homework on the FAQ and on these forums and learned about the Birchwood Casey Tru-oil and the Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax, which MM uses on their necks.

I got the Tru-oil at Wal-mart, but they didnt have the wax (seems to be a common problem). I found the wax at a Sports Authority, though I imagine other sporting goods stores that carry firearms would also have it.

So here was my dilemma--the FAQ tells me how to maintain an axis neck, but I wasnt going to maintain one that was already treated, I was finishing it for the first time. So I just decided that I might have to use several coats. Hoping I wasnt about to screw up my $300 neck, I forged ahead...

As for the applicaiton of the oil, I found out that the MM factory dips the necks in the oil. I obviously didnt have that luxury. Here is what I did:

I took the neck by itself (not yet mounted on the guitar; as a side note, if possible I would suggest removing your neck when re-treating your neck, it would have been super unwieldy to do it attached to the guitar). I laid out a small bench with my chair next to it. On the bench I put down the box that my neck came. I got several old clean t-shirts that were smooth and clean and tore them into good sized cloths. If I had been thinking ahead I would have bought a pack of cloth baby diapers. But the old tshirts worked fine. Some of the suggestions say to use a paper towel, but I dont think that would stand up as well to the rubbing (see below) and I would suggest a cloth.

I set this up in my garage and opened the garage door for good ventilation. I also did this at night to lower the temperature a bit (I live in Vegas) since I didnt want the oil drying too much.

I took a small dab of oil on my t-shirt rag and ran a small strip of it on a small piece of scrap wood along the grain. I found it easy to see where the oil had been applied. It is colorless, has a slight wet sheen and is easy to see when help up to the light at an angle. Having tested it on the scap board I ran a small, light swipe of oil on the back of the neck, starting on the back of the neck at the base joint (figuring if I screwed anything up it would be the part that will get joined to the guitar body). Believe me, it would be hard to screw this up. Though I was nervous, there was no reason to be. The oil goes on smooth, it is obvious where you have applied it and where you havent. And you can easily rub off any exess.

Please also know that I am not a woodworker or a carpenter and I dont work on my own guitars. So I am a total novice at this and I didnt have any problem.

The first thing you see is that the oil puts an unbelievable sparkle to the wood and brings out the figuring. It is really amazing. You will also notice that the oil soaks into the wood, leaving some on the surface of the wood.

I ran a small coat, section by section, over the back of my guitar neck, leaving the peg head untreated (so I could hold it) and the fingerboard untreated.

After that, I set the neck down on the box on my bench, frets down--which kept the neck nicely elevated.

I let it dry for 5 minutes. Then I took a different t-shirt rag (I always maintained an application rag and a wiping rag) and I wiped the whole back of the neck down.

You will notice that when you first wipe you get resistance against your wiping. That is the drying excess buildup on the surface catching against your rag. After a bit of wiping yuo should have that off without any problem. My belief is that if you let it dry for more than an hour you might need to steel wool the neck. Because my neck was totally raw and totally untreated, I didnt want to have to use steel wool, so I only let the neck dry for 5 minutes before wiping it.

Once I got the back of the neck totally wiped down so that my cloth glided smothly along the back, I then held the neck by the bottom and applied the oil to the front and back of the peg head.

I let it dry 5 minutes and wiped it down as above.

Then I applied the oil to the fretboard. Of my "three stages" of application (1. back, 2. peghead and 3. fretboard) this was by far the most difficult and time consuming.

It is hard to run the oil with the grain, which you are supposed to do, since the grain normally runs along the length of the neck and the frets interfere with that. But I just did my best. Again, I let it dry 5 minutes. Then for the hard part—wiping the excess off between the frets was very time consuming. It probably took me 30 minutes to wipe down the fretboard. Maybe I was overly anal, but I wiped each fret space down individually and then I used the edge of my fingernail under the t-shirt cloth to scrape along the edge of where the fret joins the wood, removing any lingering debris from that area. I would hold the neck sideways and lift it to the light to check if I had missed any stuff after each fret I did. This took some time.

In any event, the first night I put two coats on as I just described. Each full coat consisting of my “three stage” process of back of neck first, then peghead, then fingerboard.

I wiped it down fully after both coats.

I probably could have stopped here. The neck was markedly more beautiful. It had a sheen that brought out the beauty of the wood. The birdseye maple looked spectacular. In fact, you could really tell that the wood was getting sealed. When you first sight along a truly raw neck you can see the grain, and the spots of the birdseye maple, and you can also see small fissures that is just the raw wood. The oil seals these tiny fissures up. I can say for sure that all those fissures were not fully filled after only 1 coat. It wasn’t until after the second coat that I can say that all of them were sealed.

So I let the neck sit overnight.

The next night I put two more coats on it exactly as I detailed above for a total of 4 coats on the neck. I am glad I did. It felt and looked even more sealed and beautiful. I was worried that too much would “slow” the neck down. Not at all. It still felt great.

In fact, it felt so good that I almost said “to heck with the wax, this feels good as it is.”

Luckily for me I didn’t follow that thought. If the oil seals the neck and brings the wood to life, the wax is the finishing touch and makes the neck go from slick to lightning fast. As impressive of a change as it was to put the oil on the raw wood, it was just as impressive to put the wax on the oiled wood. Do yourself a favor. Don’t skip this step. I have seen some posters say the oil was so good they didn’t do the wax. Don’t listen to those posts.

I followed the instructions and started the first coat of wax right after I had finished rubbing down the neck from the fourth coat of oil. So on the second night I did two more coats of oil (a total of 4 coats) and then launched into the waxing.

The waxing is a breeze compared to the oiling.

I was going to use my same “three stage” method and was looking at a time consuming night. But it didn’t happen that way. I applied the wax in the same three stage fashion for the first coat. But the wax soaks in quick, doesn’t leave any real residue and you just take a new rag (I used two totally new rags to apply the wax and to rub the neck). The wax goes on so smooth. And, unlike the oil which gets gummy and can be painstaking to rub off, the wax isn’t so much rubbing off as it is polishing. It took maybe five minutes to 10 minutes total to put on that first coat and polish it up. Man oh man, what a difference.

In fact, in about 30 more minutes total I was able to apply 3 more coats of wax to the neck. I could have done more, but after the third coat I didn’t feel an appreciable difference when I polished the third coat from when I polished the fourth coat.

The neck is slick and sparkling.

In fact, I just took it in to my tech to swap the necks out (and change my pickups to EMGs). He freaked when he saw it. He said “holy cow, I didn’t know Warmoth finished necks like this.” I said they didn’t, I did, and I told him how I did it.

In any event, I was able to do all this in two nights. It took about two hours each night to do the oil application (I did 2 coats each night) and then about 30 more minutes the second night to wax it up. I did it all in my garage with four or six t-shirt rags, good ventilation, a small bench, a chair and lots of elbow grease.

I posted this to encourage all of you to not be afraid to do this to your necks. I am not a guy that normally works on his guitars and I was able to do it.

I didn’t really find any parts of the process that would have been fatal. Its not like you can really mess this up. If you put on too much, wipe it off. And it is clear when you put on too much.

Good luck!

Clark

pack-rat

wow great post

Thank you for the time you put into writing the post. Twas full of detail.

I have never once heard anything bad about Warmoth products.

I have an old Peavey sunbrust S-S-S I am going to strip down refinish and and mod it.

I am not much of a wood worker or electronic tech so I will learn on this puppy. It was given to me so If I screw up bit time it is no big deal.

Stand-by for before pictures

SGMan88

Wow! what a great post and awesome story orangeaxis. Thanx for all of the fine detailing that you put into it like your newly finished neck. Bravo!!!:D

OrangeChannel

Clark....

Nice detail. I need to do this to a JP or two...hehehe.

Question for the jongitarz....if you happen to get this stuff on the finish (not that I wood....but hypothetically) is tru-oil or Wax potentially damaging? Thanks.

Jon Z.
The OC

edit: Not that I wood? Would? Damn I musta been tired when I posted this...:(

Last edited:

orangeaxis

I'd like to know the answer to that, too. I am thinking about applying some to my axis neck and, if possible (and despite my advice above) I'd like to not have to remove my neck to do it. I dont want to remove my own neck. (that is just me, of course. if you are comfortable doing that then it would be way easier to apply the oil and wax to a removed neck).

But I cant imagine that it would be damaging to the finish. You should most likely just be able to wipe the stuff off. And it isnt like it splashes everywhere. It goes where you put it. The only hard part would be around the neck joint, really.

As for my Warmoth neck, I should also add that I had the back cut like a Wolfgang/Axis so that it even feels like my axis neck. Warmoth offers different neck backs (boatneck like Clapton likes, the SRV strat neck, a Wolfgang neck, the old Ibanez Wizard back, etc, though those are all "custom" backs and you have to pay more).

I should get the strat back on Tuesday so I will post a "test drive" next week. I am really bastarizing it. Vintage lovers, dont read any further. I had it routed for a bridge humbucker and am dropping black EMGs (HSS configuration, an 85 and 2 SAs), I am changing the knobs to black and the selecter switch to a black cover, but I am keeping the single ply white pickguard on a 54 reissue two color sunburst. Plus now instead of its vintage looking yellowed neck it will also have a replacement raw maple neck. A totally new look, feel and sound for this guitar. Basically, the only thing remaining the same is the alder body. I am even replacing the tuners with locking Schallers.

I'll let you know how the new neck really stacks up against the axis neck.

Clark

NorM

OA!

With very few exceptions, everyone of the statements you made in your post exactly parallel my thoughts and feelings when I did one of my necks with the oil and wax treatment. I think I only did three coats of oil and I used the finest plastic steel wool in between coats. The results are amazing! Also, the future maintenance necessary to maintain your neck is one tenth of what my unfinished necks require. I am just waiting for the excuse to pull one of these necks or send it back to the factory. Unfortunately, the quality builds of these guitars means the opportunities are far and few between. I haven't found one yet.

I imagine one of the greatest fears (at least for me anyway) is not knowing exactly what will happen. When producing a product, learning as you go isn't always a good thing. With that in mind I would like to respectfully ask jonguitarz to chime in. Not to encourage people to start pulling necks off of their guitars, but to share "the voice of experience" from lessons learned and things to not do.

Again OA,
Thanks for sharing. Would pictures be possible?

orangeaxis

OC, yeah I did kind of go Luke on my strat. I liked the sound of the SAs better than the single coils that are in Lukes setup. But he convinced me it was "OK" to have an 85 in the bridge.

orangeaxis

By the way, I just finished applying a coat of oil and a coat of wax to my axis neck with the neck still attached to the body. I got only a few dabs on the finished surface of the body and it wiped right up with no problem.

Clark

OrangeChannel

Nice work Orange! You took one for the team! I need to do this to one of my Petrucci's in the worst way.

Wait a minute...I'm Orange, you're Orange...this is too weird!

akozols

Great post. I had an EVH and have a Wolfgang and prefer the oil feel of the EBMM. I did the same procedure on my Wolf and it made a world of difference. I also added a bit of fingerboard edge wear while I was at it.

I also sanded down a poly finished neck and did the same thing. It came out great.

Al

patricef

Great post ! I'm about to order a strat neck from Warmoth (with a Wolfgang neckback shape).
One question : how much Oil and Wax do you need ?
I don't live in the US but someone is visiting me from Canada in December and can bring back some of that Birchwood Casey Tru-oil and the Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax. Just need the quatity for one neck.

Dodgeball

A truly tremendous post OA, it's particularly of interest to me as I have been considering ordering from one of these parts manufacturers for a couple of years now but have basically been a bit too chicken to go for it.

I'm leaning towards ordering from USACG rather than Warmoth as they will do the straight 10 radius fingerboard without an upcharge. Besides which if i get a matching strat body I can get it finished by Roxy guitar finish in candy purple which strikes me as being quite similar to EBMM Purple Perl! :D

Let us know how the Warmoth neck with the Wolfgang countour compares to the Axis.

If you can - post some pics too. :cool:

Good job man

Laters

Raz

OK so I have a stupid question..unfinished vs finished. Now I know my Sub1 has a finished neck(duh, it's painted), with rosewood fretbaord. But what about my Wolfie, its all maple...is that unfinished...or my Axis, Rosewood fret./maple neck or my Wayne with an Ebony fretboard and maple neck...do I need to treat these guitars? Thanks!

dwf1004

Dave, can you say that in layman's Engish, and with your teeth in this time? We's not all that smarts around hee-ya, ya know thar, city boy? :D

Top Bottom