• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nathanhny

Hey all :)

I've recently moved to the digital side (using a kemper) to get back into some home recording. I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions into what headphones I should be looking at for home recording and mixing :)

Magnus

I'm on the Kemper/Music Man train as well (yay!), and i'm really happy with my Sennheiser HD 558's... They are very comfortable and i have no issues using them for hours and hours on end.

I haven't A/B'ed them with tons of other headphones, but they work great and the tones i hear in those, are just about what comes out of the PA when i go to rehearsals and gigs :)

mistercharlie

For playing, I use Koss Porta Pros. They're light and super comfy, and because they're open the guitar sounds like it's in the room, not boxed inside the headphones. I probably wouldn't use them for mixing though.

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
if you are interested in a combo: high quality craftsmanship, sound, portability I would suggest Sennhesier Momentum 2
they sound great for guitars , the best I've tried, and I own a few high end in ear and over ear headphones

they are not extremely flat if you are gonna record /mix for a professional use
but if it's just fo home it's an extremelly hard to beat al purpose headphone

kestrou

I'm an Axe/FX guy, but can I chime in? :)

For your application, you need an open back headphone - I'm rocking a pair of Sennheiser 650s for that.

The models are differing, but there's lots of love for Sennheiser in this thread.

Kevin

beej

I frequently play through a Torpedo Live at home (for recording, etc.), and find the difference in headphones to be pretty significant. What I used to record through I can't stand for listening to the Torpedo on its own.

I went looking for something with fairly flat response that wouldn't break the bank. Ended up with a set of Beyerdynamic DT 880s and have been very happy.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I went for Audio Technica ATH-M40x. I like the sound, I enjoy both listening to music with them and recording with them and they are comfortable for long periods. The marketing blurb says it has a "flat" frequency response, and it may indeed be flatter than the higher priced M50x, but it's not flat. But no headphone is and closed-back headphones while great for recording are typically further from "flat" than open-backed headphones. Still, a very highly rated headphone and great bang for your buck in the $100 range.

nathanhny

Thank you very much for your replies :) very helpful as always. I'll see if I can check out the ones suggested. I feel I may be better off then buying one pair for recording purposes, then another later on for jamming out on the kemper.

milespg

Mo-Fi Blue. Totally awesome, is like playing without headphones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahoonc

The DT 880s Beej recommended are studio standards. I use those and the custom one pros--the custom one pros allow you change the bass porting on the fly to make sure the bass response is to your liking and I use these more for entertainment.

Try to match the headphone impedance to the output as best you can. This is important. If you have hard-to-drive cans running through an anemic output amp, it will not give you what you want.

Top Bottom