• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Coffeemug

Well, judging by the prices they seem to go for on the market there doesn't seem to be too much love for the Axis Sport...and judging by their quality and tone they definitely are tremendously underrated!
I was able to get a hold of a very nice Axis Sport HSS in great condition and it basically was a steal! Let me tell you, there's no way anyone could ever go wrong with one of these...I just can't find one thing I didn't instantly like about it. But why on earth can they be had so cheap sometimes?
While it gets much love here on the forum I guess the general public would think of the Axis Sport as something like the "little brother" of the ASS and therefore consider it less desirable? What do you guys think?

beej

It's totally underrated ... they can often be had for a song. Sometimes it's just that way with discontinued items.

spkirby

BFR's have come and gone, my Axis Sport is still my #1.... nuff said!

moo22

my beat up h/s/s sport is def my favorite of all my EBs too - great guitar and tone monster - i believe it's ash body and it just sounds wonderful going straight into marshall jubilee, my go to workhorse guitar.:)

steins76

Yup.. there's something about the simplicity of the Axis Sport model in looks but when plugged in, delivers big tone. I have the HH model and not sure what it is but that maple neck and ash body combination with those pickups just cuts through the mix perfectly.

guitfiddle

Somebody on here has (or had) a beautiful black one with a white pickguard. The Tuxedo Sport, I call it. Very classy looking axe. I'd love to find one like that.

Pott

Mhmm funny I always thought of the Sports as 'pre Super Sports'. I never thought of the SS as different guitars as I tend to take the bling out of the equation.

My S MM90s was my first EBMMs and it's a great sounding and playing guitar. I didn't pay a lot for it (for an EBMM in Europe that is) but it sure was worth it. I don't consider it any worse or better than my ASS with the quilt top and dual buckers, just another awesome guitar :cool:

Pain-Free Music

I love my Axis Sport. I bought it new in 1996 and it has been with me every since. I have yet to find a better clean tone for me than the combo of the neck and middle single coils and the neck single coil with the bridge humbucker split.

The only mods I've had to make where I swapped out the nut for a graphite one two years into playing it as I had broken the original. And at some point I did have a Roland GK pickup installed, so I still have the screw holes for that in the guitar. Soon I'll need to replace the saddles. But other than that, it still plays great. The frets have plenty of life still in them.

Here is a picture of my Axis Sport from a gig this past weekend in Fayetteville, NC. My band's name is Dreamkiller and we're hoping to play Ernie Ball's Warped Tour in a couple of weeks in Charlotte. We should find out any day now if we made the cut.

264167_10150703004840524_209303900523_19759566_171851_n.jpg

Attachments

• EBMM Sport Fayetteville 070911.jpg
    EBMM Sport Fayetteville 070911.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,287

Coffeemug

Thanks for all the replies so far! As I supposed, much love for the Axis Sport here on the forum, it really is a true gem. Mine's light as a feather, much like the Albert Lee with it's ash body and the DiMarzios are really great in this little beast.

I guess this thread could do with a couple more pics so feel free to post away (I'll take a few shots of mine when I get around to).

Stratty316

Too bad this model didn't take... I would totally order another one in SSS if they were still available!

BP, what if we got 50 people... ahhh, forget it... it will never happen.

Top Bottom