• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Chef_Barter

Okay, so my dad bought me this used Sub 1 at a local store for christmas at least 6 years ago. Everything seemed fine with it until 2 years later when it just stopped playing through amps. I wondered what was wrong with it, because it was used i wasn’t very surprised, and took off the pick guard to find this mess of a soldering job and someone had messed this thing up OR it came from the factory like this. Anyway, i need help with what kind of pots, capacitors, and the correct way to solder this thing since this is the first time i will be doing this. I really want to learn how to do this on my own, however, i am open to the option of just taking it into a shop and letting them fix it for me. 55660EB1-81D5-4016-919F-3CAC7E222C77.jpeg

tbonesullivan

Jeez, looking at that, I'm trying to figure out what exactly the person who did that was trying to accomplish. Are both pickups now wired permanently on? Looks like the green wire from one isn't even connected.

beej

That is a mess. Doesn't look like anything is connected.

The good news is that it's easy to fix. All of the parts are there (pots, switch, capacitor.)

Get the wiring diagram. Look at the pic Dr Kev linked to. Get a good soldering iron. Practice a bit on some old pots, wires, etc. Then put this back the right way! You can totally do this yourself.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
It also looks like a good time to practice with desoldering braid and/or a desoldering pump (solder sucker). Get as much of the old solder off as possible.

There are lots of great youtube videos with soldering lessons. Some maybe even specifically for guitar players. But do spend some time watching some videos all the way through. The instructions you get there will the difference between a good job and globby mess of molten metal and burnt fingers.

Top Bottom