• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

:( noooooooooooo
Ever so slightly just sick in my mouth.
A headless stingray with a contraption of a bridge that looks like something off a Saw film.

tbonesullivan

Yes, because removing the headstock results in a vastly improved instrument? No, it doesn't. It never has.

I also happen to like my strings anchored at the bridge by some thing SOLID, not some fine tuning contraption. And no, I don't like floyd rose bridges on guitars either.

danny-79

I'm all for it, but id pay an insane amount for a 36ish-34 scale fanned fret bongo before a headless bongo.

A fanned fret headless Bongo that would be something!
Personally that’s a huge NO with another huge NO !

Fanned frets. That’s another novelty I don’t get or want to get.
I mean yes they quite possibly internate better when testing every note with a strobe tuner but is that even necessary?

Last edited:

MarcMurder

A fanned fret headless Bongo that would be something!
Personally that’s a huge NO with another huge NO !

Fanned frets. That’s another novelty I don’t get or want to get.
I mean yes they quite possibly internate better when testing every note with a strobe tuner but is that even necessary?

Like i said, im for it but probably not in combination.
if it were up to me id rather have a fanned fret over headless, in fact id pay a bug buck for a fanned fret. the playability is great, and somehow more natural feeling.
Fanned fret actually does something, where (as far as i understand) headless doesnt do much. Maybe assist neck dive? not an issue for the bongo. im gonna do some google to headless perks.
i have a few combustion basses that i adore but the tone and comfortability of the bongo tops it over my NG2s.

danny-79

Like i said, im for it but probably not in combination.
if it were up to me id rather have a fanned fret over headless, in fact id pay a bug buck for a fanned fret. the playability is great, and somehow more natural feeling.
Fanned fret actually does something, where (as far as i understand) headless doesnt do much. Maybe assist neck dive? not an issue for the bongo. im gonna do some google to headless perks.
i have a few combustion basses that i adore but the tone and comfortability of the bongo tops it over my NG2s.

I’m guessing headless is purely a visual thing, I’m sure it affects the general tone of the instrument. Couldn’t say if for better or worse.

As far as fanned frets. They don’t appeal to me. It’s a complicated solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. But each to their own. I hear good things about it.

As far as putting the two together I know of only one bass that’s being made at present that has both so they do exist but fortunately that’s not here :p

epitaph04

Headless instruments primarily aid in reducing the overall weight of the instrument and also significantly help with the balance of the instrument especially when strapped to your shoulder. Musicians that have back or shoulder problems, or musicians that simply want a more ergonomic experience gravitate towards headless instruments. There is nothing wrong with them, and the continued existence of them proves that headstocks are not necessary for anything more than aesthetics, for the most part.

Me? I currently have 5 EBMM basses from 4-6 strings. I love big bass headstocks (within reason). A headless EBMM bass would be interesting but likely a very niche offering, and as we've seen, the general public isn't terribly fond of the more unconventional offerings from companies like EBMM. Their loss, of course, but I see no reason to discount or bemoan headless instruments, even if they can be a bit visually jarring.

MarcMurder

I'd been thinking about it. And maybe not even a ray or a bongo. I'd be super excited for a new design in the lineup for the fanned and/or headless bass.
But one can only hope

wannarock8

As far as putting the two together I know of only one bass that’s being made at present that has both so they do exist but fortunately that’s not here :p
There seem to be more and more guitar builders jumping on the bandwagon.
Maybe not so many combining headless construction and multi scale. But lots of multi scale guitars and basses out there.

I think it's largely a response by fans of certain bands who want to play instruments like their guitar heroes play. Not that unlike the guitar players 50 years ago who all rushed out to buy Les Pauls when they saw Eric Clapton playing one.

No guitar builder will get a penny of my money for a headless or multi scale instrument. Never say never, but at this point, I see no reason I can't make my music on an instrument with a single scale length and tuners on the headstock.

MarcMurder

I can't speak for headless, but fanned fret. HUGE FAN. the ease of playing is way higher. Especially when doing really complicated technical parts. The other factor that has me, is the tuning options. I usually get hell for not being a collector of tort guard, ampeg lovin, jaco only needed 4 kind of bassist but I usually play A standard, GCGCF or FCFA#D. My bongo can handle em all except the F. That boi is low. So a slightly larger scale can help bring back some tension on that string and clarity to the note where a 34 can't.

But like you said. If it's not something you can use it's not something you see yourself buying. I agree, and I guess that's why I never got into headless guitars

Last edited:

muggsy

I get the appeal of fanned frets much more than headless, but the bottom line is no manufacturer can be all things to all people. If you want a headless bass, there are options in the marketplace. Fanned frets, same thing. But I don't see EBMM doing either one. I mean, they are all about pushing the design envelope (Bongo, Big Al, Reflex/Game Changer, etc.) but stuff that doesn't sell gets discontinued. I love my Big Al, and there's nothing else like it, but the market spoke and they listened. I'm quite sure the market for headless and fanned frets is miniscule as a percentage of all basses sold.

danny-79

I’ve only ever seen one company that offers both on the same bass. Might be more but it’s not something that interests me so not looked too hard.
But regardless. I can’t see EBMM offering either anytime soon (I hope :p )

MarcMurder

I'd been thinking of getting a fretless unlined and having it refretted for multiscale, having the nut reslotted, and swapping the bridge for solo rails to accommodate. the only thing stopping me is that the longest scale would be 34.

Last edited:

mmbassplayer

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I remember doing a headless Bongo PS back in the day and posting it on here also (I think there is also a Singlecut Bongo). JOSH

stingray mod.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom