• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ics1974

Does anyone know if my 2007 EBMM Stringray 5 HH is wired in series or parallel.
According to this picture it is series from the factory but I am not sure if this bass was converted to parallel from a previous owner.

1669431945265.png

Here is some pictures of the current wiring

1669431799386.jpeg
1669431871825.jpeg

From the wiring do it look to be series or parallel? How can you tell?
Thanks

ics1974

Sorry I have no idea how to do that or what that would do. I know nothing about electronics. I am just curious how mine is wired.

Rod Trussbroken

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It's in SERIES (not parallel).

The lead-in on the left (the one you have your finger on) relates to the bridge pickup. It's red and black wires are soldered to the correct points on the selector switch. It's green wire (ground/earth) is correctly soldered to back of the pot directly to the left (Treble pot).

The next lead-in (on the right beside the first one) relates to the neck pickup. It's red and black wires are also soldered to the correct points on the selector switch.

The black wires from both lead-ins are joined together which is correct.

As with the above, other soldering points on the selector switch don't appear to have been interfered with.

ics1974

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It's in SERIES (not parallel).

The lead-in on the left (the one you have your finger on) relates to the bridge pickup. It's red and black wires are soldered to the correct points on the selector switch. It's green wire (ground/earth) is correctly soldered to back of the pot directly to the left (Treble pot).

The next lead-in (on the right beside the first one) relates to the neck pickup. It's red and black wires are also soldered to the correct points on the selector switch.

The black wires from both lead-ins are joined together which is correct.

Other soldering points on the selector switch don't appear to have been interfered with.

Excellent. Thank you for confirming. Is it possible to convert this to parallel?

tbonesullivan

What's the build date of your bass? The preamp looks like it has a JAN 23 03?? date? Before 2007 should be Series. 2008 onwards should be parallel

tbonesullivan

Excellent. Thank you for confirming. Is it possible to convert this to parallel?
Honestly... you aren't going to notice that much of a difference. The Ceramic magnet pickups are a bit more aggressive sounding than the Alnico pole pickups, and setting them as parallel won't change the sound that much. It will still be a different overall sound than the Alnico version.

I have a 2012 5H with the series /parallel swich, and it's a minor difference.

Top Bottom