• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

waltschwarzkopf

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an Axis guitar, preferably an original EBMM, but there are not many locally. I found on the local classified one that could be an original, but I'm not sure; hence I need your help identifying it.

I've been wanting one for years, but I could never found one in my price range. And I was not too sure about buying an OLP or a Sterling.

I've attached the pictures from the ad and I have a few observations:
  • The top is not flamed maple, but I don't know if this is optional
  • The neck is not figured but seems plain maple, I also don't know if this is optional
  • The locking parts are missing from the nut, I guess this can be replaced.
  • The headstock says "Ernie Ball MUSICMAN Axis Super Sport", to my knowledge the AXIS comes with HH locking trem and a single volume, but the SUPER SPORT, has a normal trem and tone control. Again, I don't know if this is optional.
  • Says it has Seymour Duncan pickups, I know the AXIS comes with Cusmot DIMARZIOS, but pickups can be easily changed. Any idea where to get another DIMARZIO?

Everything else seems ok to me, but I've never had or played a EBMM before, so I cannot judge.

It is not my dream guitar, as I had imagined with an all maple neck-fretboard, a flame or quilted top and a lighter (orangy) color; but this is what I could find and for the price, I would not let it pass. BUT ONLY, and ONLY if it is an original EBMM. I have no interest in a fake guitar, and if it were an OLP or a Sterling, I would think about it.

What do you think?

Cheers
Walt

P.S. First time posting here, so please excuse me if I made any mistakes regarding the rules.

5389074601.jpg
5380551282.jpg
5372027963.jpg
5363504644.jpg

Astrofreq

It does not look original to me. I’m only looking on my phone, but the body shape is far from correct, among other things too.

unless it is in the $200 range, I’d be very hesitant to buy it

waltschwarzkopf

unless it is in the $200 range, I’d be very hesitant to buy it

Nope, he wants around $650 for it, which was the first red flag. But then again, it could be someone that had an "old guitar" laying around and wants to sell it quickly.

kimonostereo

It looks like either a Axis copy or a modified OLP. There is nothing there that I'd want to buy. If you are on a budget, maybe hunt specifically for a Sterling Axis. I believe there was one or two years of production where they came with Dimarzio pickups.

waltschwarzkopf

It looks like either a Axis copy or a modified OLP. There is nothing there that I'd want to buy. If you are on a budget, maybe hunt specifically for a Sterling Axis. I believe there was one or two years of production where they came with Dimarzio pickups.

Yeah, even if it was an original there is some work to be done to get it back to stock. I saw a mint Sterling AX40 for less than the other guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave1812

The Neckplate is a dead Giveaway. it only uses 4 Screws. Even the S.U.B. Sterling Guitars use a 5 Bolt Neck Attachment! Not so sure about the OLPs, but the Body Shape is also wrong....

koogie2k

Every EBMM guitar/bass has a serial number on it. IF this has one post it and you will then find out if it is legit or not. I personally don't think it is as others have posted.

waltschwarzkopf

Thank you all for the warm welcome and valuable help!

The seller wants 660 bucks, which if it were a real EBMM I would get it in a heartbeat and try to bring it back to stock, but everyone in this thread (myself included) seems to think it is not original.

I found a Sterling AX40 for 450 bucks, which seems much better and closer to my dream axis.

See below:

9393379028.jpg

Is this a better option?

I hear that "the poor man pays twice", meaning that if you cheap out you buy something that you want and are not happy with it and end up buying what you wanted later on.

Should I wait for the ONE Axis EBMM and buy it then?

kimonostereo

If it were me, I would save up and get the one I really want. But I’m not you. The Sterling’s as close to a Ernie Ball Music Man Axis that you’ll get. They are 10x better than the OLPs in build and accuracy compared to the EBMM Axis.

In the end only you can decide what is best.

Top Bottom