• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SixtyNorth

Hi, new to the forum...
I own a 2018 Jp Majesty BFR that I purchased used in 2019. It has had no problems in the past 3 years. I played it sparingly, and have only needed to do minor tuning and no issues with the setup. I recently sold it to a friend in Oregon and shipped it down to him a week and a half ago.
It arrived with the strings tightened sharp and when he tried to tune it the strings kept going sharp after a bit of playing and they were fretting out. He took it to his guitar tech who does great work for him (and me, when I lived there).
The tech was unable to get the neck to respond to add relief to the strings and get rid of the fret buzz. The adjustment wheel became loose when turned in the direction to get the neck to bow up. The tech stopped there and called me with my friend because he felt the truss rod may be loose or broken.
There are no other visible signs of damage. Does EBMM have a repair facility to investigate a fix to this problem? If not, any recommendations on where to send the guitar to be repair the issue? I know the guitar is out of warranty due to the used purchase and time line. I would just like to get the guitar repaired and back to its awesome playable condition.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Yes, you can send the guitar to the factory for diagnosis and repair. (In fact you can even send your guitar in for a setup, or a refret too). Call Music Man customer service for details. Numbers are found via link in my signature below.

Rbg

I don’t think they do it anymore as they are short stuffed.

racerx

Have you tried getting a second opinion from another reputable shop? That, while not impossible, sounds like very unusual behavior. What happens if you try to tighten the rod? Is it engaged at all? That would help identify a broken one quickly.

morsecode

In the spring they said they weren’t doing non-warranty work for the time being. I am assuming because of staff shortages and long back orders on the production side. They weren’t sure at what point they would be able to do non warranty work again. Maybe later in the year or sometime next year? Too hard to really predict.

I’m sure there are good techs in Oregon who can diagnose the issue. It’s possible the truss rod is sticking.

Top Bottom