Music Man Vault Black Friday Deal

JP15 - position to split coils to use either a neck or bridge single coil pickup?

justevv

I am wondering if there is a way of using just one single coil pickup on the JP15.

I know that if I am in position 2 and I pull up on the mag tone I can use both a single neck pick up and single bridge pick up in parallel. I've tried putting the guitar in position 3 or 1 and then pulling up the mag tone, but it doesn't seem to be different than just putting the guitar in position 3 or 1 and not pulling up the mag tone. It is possible that I'm not hearing the difference. But the instructions on the JP15 control diagram (01-01-2016) does not show explicitly how to use only one single pickup so I'd like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

johnnyboogie

There is no option for what you are asking. The electronics are designed so that only position 2 has the additional option of splitting the coils. You would have to intervene in order to be able to split the hum buckers in positions 1 and 3.

Pott

That's one of my only gripes with the JP15. There IS a coil-split, but only for one third of the available positions.
I guess it's how JP wanted it, but it feels like a missed opportunity at no cost to the customer.

alpiel91

How to get single coils in a JP15 on all pickup selector positions

It's really simple, you just have to desolder the blue and yellow wires from the pickup selector PCB and solder them back directly to ground (see picture).

single-coil-mod.jpg

In the original soldering configuration, the blue and yellow cables are hooked to the 4PDT switch, connecting to ground only when the switch is in the middle position. By soldering them to ground, you'll be effectively singling both pickups on all pickup selector positions, when the tone knob DPDT is up (see diagram)

mindacoavmqcvmabtkxi copy.jpg

Last edited:

furor

usually about 3-4 ft below the guitar :)

Or solder them to the back of the (usually) volume pot.

2021 Ernie Ball Holiday Gift Guide
Top Bottom