• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gkelm

Hey all- First post...I've owned a Luke I, a couple JPs, and a late 90s Axis (miss that one!). I've wanted to revisit a superstrat with a piezo, so I turned to EBMM again.

Just picked up the used JP6. The ad pics were not great, but was said to be in original condition. When I pulled it out of the case I was a bit startled by the neck...a lot thinner than I recall. I mean Ibanez thin. Then I noticed what I thought might have been wear on the clear coat, but coupled with the thin neck feel I began to suspect that the neck was sanded down.

The only other thickness measurements I can fin were posted by this gent a couple years ago:

I had a few minutes and measured all the JPs we have in stock with a set of digital calipers, any variations could be from the hand-sanding, or my inability to properly use the calipers.

The flame top Sahara Burst JP15 is approximately 0.775" thick at the first fret, and 0.825" at the 12th fret.

The Blueberry Burst JP15 #122 is approximately 0.780" thick at the first fret, and 0.800" at the 12th fret.

The Blueberry Burst JP15 #138 is approximately 0.800" thick at the first fret, and 0.820" at the 12th fret.

The Blueberry Burst JP15 #186 is approximately 0.770" thick at the first fret, and 0.825" at the 12th fret.

The Copper Fire Majesty is approximately 0.785" thick at the first fret, and 0.865" at the 12th fret

The Viola Artisan Majesty is approximately 0.780" thick at the first fret, and 0.890" at the 12th fret.

The Stealth White JP6 is approximately 0.785" thick at the first fret, and 0.830" at the 12th fret

Here are pics of mine...as you can see I'm reading .71" at second fret. Is this typical? Did I just get a thin carve, or does it seem that this one's been shaved down? Any insight appreciated.

Greg

hbrZMeN.jpg

yJQrJ0i.jpg

MXxmI8L.jpg

ZY8yeVN.jpg

Johnny Alien

Those necks are generally Ibanez thin so nothing sounds off about what you are saying. I am not familiar with the actual number specs so can't say if what you posted is correct. As far as the sanding line I am not sure if that is always a clean straight line. Even if they are there are people that do light sanding when they clean and maintain the neck. I am not one of those people but I know it happens.

LordRiffenstein

My guess is they did do some light sanding while maintaining the neck as my EBMM guitars have always had a clean line but the JP line have VERY thin necks. Ibanez thin, just a little rounder on the back.

spychocyco

Yeah, my JP6 neck is super-thin. I don't know the measurements, but it's the thinnest neck in my collection. A very light fine-grit sanding is normal on unfinished necks. I do it on all mine when I re-apply the oil and wax, though I usually try to tape off the finish line on the headstock. It doesn't take much material off, but would account for the wear at the finish line.

It also makes sense for the neck to be a little thinner at the second fret than the first, since you're building to the headstock on the first fret. Are your first fret and 12th fret measurements in the neighborhood of the ones that you listed above?

click track

A very light fine-grit sanding is normal on unfinished necks. I do it on all mine when I re-apply the oil and wax, though I usually try to tape off the finish line on the headstock. It doesn't take much material off, but would account for the wear at the finish line.

The above is spot on for me as well / the line that was once crisp and straight tends to gets sloppier each time I lightly sand and wax, so over time it will look a lot like yours in the original picture you posted.

ENJOY YOUR JP6 !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom