• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

furor

Hi guys,

is there much difference tonewise between a JPX and BFR? The body is alder wings+mahogany block+maple top in both, correct?
Will the JPX be the brighter sounding guitar because of the chambering and ebony fretboard?
What effect does the chambering have? Is it still tight? Is it mainly audible acoustically?

Is the JPX representative of the overall JP series? Or is it rather quite divergent and better try a JP6/BFR/15 to have a better grip on the feel and playability?

Thanks!

Last edited:

furor

I read that the position of the 5-way switch is somewhat unfortunate (easy to unintentionally hit it). Can you relate to that, or not much of an issue after all?

damo_512

I've never played a BFR but I can compare my JP15 and JPX. The JP15 sounds much brighter and snappier than all my other guitars in a nice way but that could be the wood and pickup combination. The main differences for me feel wise is the 5 way toggle as I was so used to the 3 way on the JP15 but it's still in the same ergonomic position, then the fretboard radius and the JP15 is lighter than my JPX.

The JPX is still a great guitar and compared to the JP6/BFR it's pretty much the same except for the 5 way switch. Others with a more nuanced ear might hear a difference with the chambering, but I generally don't. So it depends if you want a 3 way or a 5 way switch really but if you can give them a try!

JKostogiannos

Strictly tone-wise, you shouldn't expect much of a difference. If any at all that is.

If you're torn between the two, I suggest focusing on the 3-way vs. 5-way toggle switches. Personally, I find the 5-way one of the biggest 'mistakes' on an otherwise practically perfect package. Again, that's strictly my personal opinion.

Also, keep in mind that the polish will likely break and chip on the top and lowest positions where the 5-way blade hits the body. That's what happened to me at least, but I don't do very 'gentle' pickup position changes.

Top Bottom