• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ohdamnitsdevin

After having some form of social networking be part of my life for the past 12 odd years or so, I felt it was time to pull the plug and come back to the reality a bit. Not that theres anything wrong with Facebook but, I really found it to be quite a distraction and ultimately, it was detracting from my life.

I'll still be posting on the forum from time to time of course but, I want this year to be different and I really think being away from all the tech is just what the doctor ordered!

My wife and I are going to pick up archery and do some camping this year. I can't wait! :)

On a side note:

I can't believe how big of a deal it is to my peers to deactivate a Facebook account.

Sweat

Good for you, FB is a waste like most TV but being kind I think this is GD post vs. a Guitar forum post. BTW learn to fish:)

It is our favorite shared activity( that is my wife and I) :)

MesaBeno

Good on you, pal. I have been wanting to do the same for a while, except that I use it as a tool to keep in touch with my favourite musicians, so it's hard to pull the plug on that end.

However, I am so sick and tired of how it's become this platform where everybody can espouse an opinion regarding politics/religion/news, etc. It is literally exhausting, and the amount of bias and, at times, ignorance is painful. Web 2.0 has been one of the worst and best things ever to happen to the internet, simultaneously.

Stratty316

\m/ the devil \m/... Lol. Good for you Devin. I cut out all games on my phone except for Chess with friends. I was wasting way too much time online.

dannymusic

i h a t e f a c e b o o k ! ! !
and..i have a dum fone

"We lived on farms, then we lived in cities, and now we're going to live on the internet!"

MajtasticVoyage

Haha I ditched FB a few years ago but started a new account right before NAMM. My parents had been bugging me to do it since they wanted to know what's going on in my life and I never call. Mainly I just wanted to post pics of me with rock stars :)

But I took about 5 years off from it and now I'm a lot more able to regulate how much of it I let into my life, and how much of my life I post. I've learned to not post dirty laundry, force religious views down anyone's throat, or take anything I see or read at face value. I think it can be wonderful to keep updated on people you may not have the opportunity to do so otherwise, but it can definitely get out of hand.

Anyway, congrats on your decision. But just be warned; should you choose to jump back on, your entire account and history will be right there waiting for you if you log in with the same email lol.

daneford

Good for you. A couple years ago, the Mrs and I deleted our Facebook accounts. We've since replaced them with blank slate profiles. No pictures, names, details, etc. They're just used as email accounts. It's been a nice change.

nathanhny

I find facebook such a bittersweet thing. It's great for keeping in touch with friends and families over seas, as well as keeping up to date with your favorite artists and companies. But the amount of bs on there is incredible lol. I'm one of those people that will be in a good mood if those around me are in a good mood. I know way too many people that use facebook as a means to be passive aggressive or to seek attention.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Huge timewaster and very efficient promoter of nonsense, scams, and idiocy. Hate it hate it hate it. But can;t quite bring myself to get rid of it. Sad fact is that I do get some small level of business from it and I'm loathe to let it go. Good on ya, Devin!

Axis-of-Evil

You are not alone!!! I've avoided social media completely and I'm just as informed as everyone else!! And Happier!!!

DrKev

I can't believe how big of a deal it is to my peers to deactivate a Facebook account.

I'm about to find out. I'm pulling the plug at the end of the week.

Facebook just annoys me. I hate the nonsense and clickbait and pseudoscience and scams and photos of cats, everyone shouting to be heard over each other. The waste of bandwidth and CO2 and sheer volume of utterly useless crap, mass duplicated, is shocking. It casts a shadow on a little part of my day and I don't need it. I need my guitar in my hands.

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
well guys as with the internet also ...it depends what you are doing on FB :)
I hated first , I absolutely love it now:
I keep only a few people that share info I am interested in: psychology, science, music
I disabled every notification of / or unfriend people who just post pics and crap
I "liked" a lot of official pages in the fields I like - science mostly - and now 90 % of my news feed is what I am interested in and is very educational and informative
I use Pocket app to save all articles for later , with tags , from PC and from smartphone also
so FB is my science news feed :)
It can be whatever you allow it
but yeah I agree 99 % of people just use it for crap just like the TV :))))

DrKev

I prefer Twitter as my science news feed. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Anyway, it's been interesting since I announced I was pulling the plug. I got an email from a friend this morning congratulating me and said he wished he had the balls to do the same, but doesn't. Kinda sad. If he was on heroin or something I'd understand but it's just facebook, ya know.

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
hahah funny friend :))
I never used Twitter so no opinion on that :)
also there are apps very useful like Flipboard or Google play newsstand for news on different fields but I find Facebook pages being updated more frequently

I prefer Twitter as my science news feed. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Anyway, it's been interesting since I announced I was pulling the plug. I got an email from a friend this morning congratulating me and said he wished he had the balls to do the same, but doesn't. Kinda sad. If he was on heroin or something I'd understand but it's just facebook, ya know.

Top Bottom