• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Youngblood67

Hello All!
looking to receiving my new Luke iii hss tomorrow. Was curious if anyone here has the specs on the pickup? They list them as “Alnico” magnets-curious if theyre Alnico 5 maybe? Is the bridge pickup more of a hotter wind or more in the vintage realm? Thanks

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The bridge humbucker is not vintage, the data sheet I have access to just says AlNiCo, 13.8 kΩ. The single coils are vintage (same single coils as in the Cutlass). They are AlNiCo 5, spec sheet says 6.0 kΩ, mine measure 6.2 - 6.3 kΩ. They sound fantastic!

Very excited for you. Can't wait for you NGD (New Guitar Day) post!

ruger9

Adding on to the OPs question: out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Transitions compared tonally to the EBMMs? The new EBMM bridge, from the specs, puts it in SD JB territory (I love the JB), but was the Transition more like that, or more vintage?

Dimarzio shows specs as Ceramic, 11K

Youngblood67

The bridge humbucker is not vintage, the data sheet I have access to just says AlNiCo, 13.8 kΩ. The single coils are vintage (same single coils as in the Cutlass). They are AlNiCo 5, spec sheet says 6.0 kΩ, mine measure 6.2 - 6.3 kΩ. They sound fantastic!

Very excited for you. Can't wait for you NGD (New Guitar Day) post!
Thanks for the info! I was curious about the bridge pickup specs mostly,youve answered what i was wanting. Looking forward to getting it!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Adding on to the OPs question: out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Transitions compared tonally to the EBMMs? The new EBMM bridge, from the specs, puts it in SD JB territory (I love the JB), but was the Transition more like that, or more vintage?

Bearing in mind that the DC resistance doesn't tell you what it sounds like, 11kΩ is still higher than any vintage style HB and DiMarzio listed the Transition Bridge pickup in the High output pickups. I think that says it all. Lukather likes his HBs to be big and full.

ruger9

Bearing in mind that the DC resistance doesn't tell you what it sounds like, 11kΩ is still higher than any vintage style HB and DiMarzio listed the Transition Bridge pickup in the High output pickups. I think that says it all. Lukather likes his HBs to be big and full.

Right, so neither (Transition or EBMM) is giving a vintage/PAF vibe. I wondered because I saw an older post where someone reported the EBMM HB was quite a bit lower output than the Transisiton... but I guess still not down in vintage/PAF territory.

I have 2 bridge HB guitars: a PRS DGT which is vintage/PAF output, and an HSS stat with a JB which is of course high output. Just wondering where the EBMM and Transitions would fall in.

TheSash

I did a comparison between those two. I do have three LIII‘s one with Transitions and two with the EBMM Pickups.
You can find my comparison somewhere here button short:
The EBMM do sound more open, balanced and more dynamic.
The Transitions do have slightly higher output.
When you hear both side by side the transitions sound a bit muffled against the EBMM pickups.
I do like the both but I clearly prefer the EBMM Pickups.

Top Bottom