• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

drubicle

Greetings all!
I was wondering which Music Man model has a body closest to the Jaguar in terms of comfort and how it sits on your leg when playing seated.

Looking to buy my first Music Man guitar (fell in love with an Axis neck 16 years ago and still think about it).
I have gone through many Fenders and Gibsons and have stuck with my trusty mid 90s Japanese Jaguar.

A few years ago, I injured my shoulder. When I play strats, les pauls, sgs, and teles while seated for longer than 20 minutes, they aggravate my right shoulder quite a bit.

The jaguar is the only guitar I've played that doesn't hurt while playing seated for an extended length of time. Perhaps it is because of the offset body? My right arm just seems to align perfectly on a jag.

The guitar stores around me don't have Music man guitars so it is hard for me to get a feel for the different body types.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

John C

It could definitely be the offset body based on your description. About the only EBMM body that is offset is the StingRay body. The Sabre has a little bit of an offset, and the Cutlass seems to also have a little tiny bit of an offset - but really only the StingRay is offset.

Also since the Jaguar is 24" scale the neck will sit differently than any of the 25.5" scale EBMMs; they will sit more like a Jazzmaster (same body as the Jaguar) since the Jazzmaster has a 25.5" scale.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
John makes some good points. I agree the StingRay is the most offset Music Man body, and most similar to the Jaguar in terms of the bridge position on the body (looking at the position of the bridge relative to the leg cut, which might be why your right arm aligns so well on the Jaguar). BUT the longer scale length will in effect push the nut and open position chords and a little further away from your fretting hand. If you like a Jazzmaster as much as the Jaguar, the StingRay might be an interesting choice.

If you are gonna have to order a guitar online, try to find a store with a good return policy so you can give yourself some time to get used to a new guitar and allow it prove itself before you decide to send it back and exchange it for something else.

tbonesullivan

I have played the Stingray, the Jazzmaster, and the Jaguar. The Stingray RS is the closest in terms of playing the guitar sitting down, however the playing feel is completely different. This is both due to the scale length, and also the very large amount of string behind the bridge of a Jaguar. That makes it feel very "slinky". Also the floating bridge has some give, so the strings are going to feel completely different on the stingray.

drubicle

Thanks John, DrKev, and Tbone for the responses! I will try a Jazzmaster at Guitar Center to approximate the stingray body with 25.5 scale. Love the slinky feel of the Jag scale length, but also love the axis neck and many strat necks (just not the strat bodies while seated). I'm ok with the different neck feel as long as it has a balance similar to the jaguar.
Thanks again! Greatly appreciate this info.

Pink

I’d like to suggest a Silhouette Special (not as readily available as the Cutlass). I find the Silo Special playing position more akin to a short scale guitar. The strings aren’t as slinky as a 24” scale, though I find the reach to the first frets more comfortable compared to an AL or Stratocaster. Plus the body size is smaller compared to the Cutlass and definitely a Jazzmaster.

Sweat

Stingray would be closest, though try an Albert Lee, very ergonomical and balanced, easy to play sitting

elvisdog

For what it's worth, I found the StingRay to play easiest with the trem down tight as I could get it. Felt like I was fighting it when the trem could move. Don't know why this is but it worked for me.

drubicle

Pink- Love the look of the Silhouette and read about the small neck but don't know if it would balance as comfortably as an offset. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a bum shoulder.
Sweat- I definitely want to try an albert lee after reading about how ergonomic they are and the shape reminds me of a jag/jazzmaster.
Elvisdog- Thanks for the heads up on the trem! I was wondering if that would be a problem with the hard tail but see they don't make a hardtail stingray?

GWDavis28

Drubicle, the AL is a great instrument, I've never played a Stingray, but they look pretty cool.

Good luck with a choice, maybe there are member near by you in Texas that can point you in a direction to try something out.

Glenn |B)

drubicle

Lots of good feedback! This forum rocks.
I emailed Ernie Ball and they suggested The Albert Lee or the Mariposa. So that leaves me a trio of Music Man guitars to try! Guitar Center Houston has a Mariposa so I will try that model this weekend.

GWDavis28

Good call this BFR offer of the Mariposa has to be the best looking I've seen.

Ball Family Reserve | Ernie Ball Music Man

73.jpg

Good luck, Glenn |B)

Top Bottom