• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

NickNihil

So a few weeks after smoothing and oiling/waxing the neck I feel it gets a little dirty feeling. Not as smooth, as if there are bits of debris on it. Can I clean the back of the neck to keep it smooth without doing another oil/wax (as all word says it's unwise to do so more than once or twice a year-I'm no wood expert.) ? Do I clean and re-wax without oil? And if I can merely clean to smooth it out, what's the best method? 0000 steel wool? Really fine sandpaper? A cleaning spray and cloth? OR, rather, did I not do an adequate job re-oiling/waxing?

Pink

What you describe does sound like some debris made its way into the oil and wax while being applied to the neck. You could sand very lightly with very fine sandpaper or use a Scotch pad (plastic, not steel wool). Then once the neck is smooth like a baby's bum, wipe it again with a dry, clean cloth.

mikeller

You might try wiping with Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes, or Murphy's Oil Soap 3 diluted 3-1 with water on a very lightly dampened cloth quickly removing an moisture with clean paper towels, several times. The consider re applying the gunstock oil and wax.

Perhaps you didn't buff the oil off quick enough and allowed it to get tacky.

I always clean with diluted Murphys a few times buffing it dry quickly with a paper towel. The I apply the gunstock oil and let it sit for 60 seconds and buff it off with another clean paper towel, and repeat. The use the wax working it in, then buffing it off with another clean paper towel and repeat a few times. The key is not to let the oil sit on too long and keep using fresh new paper towels. You sure don't want to buff off the wax with the same towel you buffed off the oil with it.

Rbg

not to make it into another waxing thread… waiting a day or more in between oil and wax will reduce a chance of stickiness. (Speaking as a woodworker/chemist who tried all possible finished and their combinations)

NickNihil

Thanks, all! In all honesty it's pretty minor, just feels like little bits of grit a few weeks after oiling and waxing. Never felt sticky to the touch. I probably need to wait longer between the oil the and wax, let it set more. I follow the EBMM video for neck care, just want to make sure I don't overdo anything and damage the neck.

Top Bottom