• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edhalen

As Gas hits one place I turn to for relief is the GC used section. Many a bargain can be had there if the timing is right. Anywho, I spotted this one there a few days ago and sure enough our AL fanatic xjbebop had posted a link to it in the Ebay/Craigslist section. I figured what the heck. The price was right and it was a HSS configuration. Either a one-off for someone or someone's mod. I figured the latter. Well, I was WRONG! This bad boy is a factory one-off. For whom I have no idea. Here's the factory info on the S/N:

Serial #H01516
ManufacturedOctober 22nd, 2021
Build Code929-ST-10-09-CS-C1
ModelA_LEE_HSS_TRM HDWE KIT

I'm assuming HDWE kit means hardware kit. Not sure what that spec represents. One thing I noticed immediately is that the frets are larger and taller than on the Cherry Punch BFR sitting behind me (that's a NGD for another day :) ). They also appear to be stainless. Also, you'll notice it's a plain non-roasted Maple neck and fretboard. Now, to the guts. Have a look. :) Notice the p/n on the HB pickup. It's the custom DiMarzio from the AL HH/Axis. That truly made my day. Lastly, this guitar has barely been touched! The plastic is still on the pickguard and back plate. Nothing came off on the wonder wipe when I cleaned the neck and fret board. Save for the one ding pictured below it is in as-new condition! Amazing. What a lucky day for me. :)

AL4DING.jpg AL3SCMiddle.jpg AL2SCNeck.jpg AL1HB.jpg AL5Full.jpg

beej

Amazing! I was looking at that one lustfully as well :) That's the perfect guitar right there- what a score.

There must be a bunch of one-offs out there. I picked up an artist model HSS LIII a while back with slightly different specs as well. It always pays to keep your eyes peeled for something special.

Enjoy it!

xjbebop

Good job! Now we both own "mystery AL's"... :)

First pics I've seen of the newer in-house pickups... very nice!
Post pics of that neck, please!!

edhalen

Nice, so the color is silver? Congrats
Thanks all! It sounds insane in all five switch positions.

Keith - thanks - the color in the order description from GC says firemist silver. To me it looks the same as the firemist silver on the music-man site currently. Outstanding color. Like most the pics don’t do it justice.

edhalen

Post pics of that neck, plea

Post pics of that neck, please!!
Ask and ye shall receive!!! :)

ALNeck5.jpg ALNeck4.jpg ALNeck3.jpg ALNeck2.jpg ALNeck1.jpg

edhalen

Thanks all!! I emailed customer service for the complete specs for the guitar. Hopefully they will provide them.

EDIT>>> Looking at the specs of the current AL SSS, I think the specs will be identical with the exception of the pick ups. Two EBMM-custom Single coils (same ones as the Cutlass?) and the DiMarzio Axis HB. I'd like to know the position two switch configuration - would it be the front coil of the HB and the middle pick up?

Last edited:

beej

Did you take a pic of the lever switch?

It’s probably the full HB plus middle. That’s how the Bull Head Cutlass is. I have my Cutlass wired the same way- sounds fantastic. The HB doesn’t need to be split.

Last edited:

edhalen

Did you take a pic of the lever switch?

It’s probably the full HB plus middle. That’s how the Bull Head Cutlass is. I have my Cutlas wired the same way- sounds fantastic. The HB doesn’t need to be split.
Unfortunately I didn’t get a picture of the switch. Was too focused on the pick ups 😂. Sounds like it’s not split as it seems like the single coil is just added. Sounds amazing. Man I love this guitar. The cleans are perfect. Honeymoon in full swing.

xjbebop

Thanks all!! I emailed customer service for the complete specs for the guitar. Hopefully they will provide them.

EDIT>>> Looking at the specs of the current AL SSS, I think the specs will be identical with the exception of the pick ups. Two EBMM-custom Single coils (same ones as the Cutlass?) and the DiMarzio Axis HB. I'd like to know the position two switch configuration - would it be the front coil of the HB and the middle pick up?
Plug in at a low volume, take something small & steel, like an allen wrench or screwdriver, and tap the pole pieces as you move thru the switch positions. you should be able to hear what's on & off...

edhalen

Something I discovered. The neck carve is thicker and more rounded on this one than on the Cherry Punch. Very noticeable to me. Along with the rest of the goodness in this one the Cherry Punch was sent back. I’m one happy AL owner. :)

fogman

Damn!!!
I'm super envious; I would have bought that in a blink.
I love the colour.
Congrats

Top Bottom